Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to check first character in var's value. Post 76908 by vgersh99 on Friday 1st of July 2005 11:14:18 AM
Old 07-01-2005
echo 'June 01' | sed 's/ 0/ /'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check for the first character to be blank

I'm having a problem when the first line or first character of a file is blank. I need to get rid of both of them when they occur but don't want to delete the line. Does anyone have any suggestions? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthreedhr
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne: search for a non-numeric character in $VAR

if $1 = "123x456", how can I test for the non-numeric character 'x' in that string. I've tried expr with "" but it did not find the x. Any ideas? Can this perhaps be done with sed? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check string of character

how can i check whether variable contains only character from a-z or A-Z....if my variable contains any alpha numeric, numeric or any character with some special one i.e. *%&@! etcetera etcetera....then it should show me please enter only characters...... Let my variable var1="abc77}|" then... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
9 Replies

4. AIX

check for a particular character inside a file and substitute with a given character?

i am a newbie to shell script,so i want a kshell script in which i need to check for a particular character inside a file through conditional looping(like if ,case,while)and if that character exists ,then substitute a given character to that character. consider a file test.txt,inside the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether it is a non-numeric character

Below is the abstract of the script which is working fine. if ] then error_process "Invalid month format." return 1 fi I am doing validation for month and it errors if the value is > 12 or < 0. In addition, I want to add another condition to error if it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony_dada
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check number of character

hi, I would like to calculate number of character for a number, for exemple : 1200 --> there are 4 characters , 120001 -> 5 characters (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: francis_tom
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for special character in a value

Hi, I have a variable and to it always alphanumeric value will be assigned. If the value has any special characters in it then in the if statement it should exit like below if (value has any speacial character) then exit else .... fi can any one suggest how to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavnayas
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check to see if string var is empty

i have a veriable set var1 set var2 = abcd how can i check if var 1 is empty and if var 2 is not empty ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirnir26
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a shell script to check /var file system

deleting (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Var Check Script (Help improve if possible)

I am working on a script to check the var on all of my systems. Can someone help me fix it to work better or give me suggestions. #!/bin/ksh IN=/path/to/list_of_workstations.txt while read hostnames do if ping $hostnames 1 | grep alive > /dev/null then percent=`ssh -q... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whotippedmycow
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)