Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file wont remove
Operating Systems Solaris file wont remove Post 74602 by DogDay on Friday 10th of June 2005 04:08:52 PM
Old 06-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaunders
check this out

ls -l nmo*
-rwsr-s--- 1 root dba 19312 Mar 31 14:44 nmo
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 0 May 19 2004 nmo0
-rwxr-x--- 1 oracle dba 16512 Mar 31 14:44 nmocat

# rm nmo0
nmo0: No such file or directory
# id
uid=0(root) gid=1(other)

what gives?!?!?!?!
Someone taught me once to take your cat to the vet:

ls -l nmo*|cat -vet

note the special characters in the filenames when you view that.

Check the man page for what the -v -e -t options do. It should become clear if you have a space or some other non printable character in your filename.

For example:
# ls -la
-rw-r--r-- 1 username system 0 Jun 10 15:09 myfiname

but if we use the cat -vet options we see the following:

#ls -la|cat -vet
-rw-r--r-- 1 username system 0 Jun 10 15:09 myfil^?name$

the ^? is a backspace character.

So to delete that file I would have to type rm -- myfil(CTRL V BACKSPACE)name

Thats probably confusing but its friday and everyone is walking out the door and I'm rushing to join them. Good luck.

Last edited by DogDay; 06-11-2005 at 11:23 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apache wont start

Hi, like a lot of people that post here, I am new at UNIX. The only UNIX I have ever messed with is my iBook running MacOSX (10.1). I have a grasp of the basic commands and understanding of the system but only to a point. I searched the archive and FreeBSD.org and apache.org but I couldn't find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alpha_Harblo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitor wont come on...

I know this may not be the right forum, but here goes. Last night I was playing my favorite game Everquest and my monitor goes blank... I was able to save out of my game and shut it down... My question is this: I thought my monitor had died but this morning I was able to get it to come back... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris has a lot of bugs, fstream wont write to file correctly!

I've got a c++ program that works fine on Linux, compiles on Solaris fine with g++, but will not write to a fstream correctly in a class object. And I've run into numerous other bugs in the disk management. Jon (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joncamp
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

head command wont work on MF file

I am trying to do a head on a mainframe file and on doing ti just gives me a blank screen with nothing on it. however, when i do a tail for the same file...i get a few lines on the screen. i know tht mainframe files have all the records on one line...does this have to do something with this.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xwindows wont start

I have one machince where X crashes with some weird error on boot... Fatal server error: Cannot move old logfile "/var/log/XFree86.0.log.old" This is running redhat enterprise ES 3, I cant figure out how to get past this error. I have tried deleting the logfiles and recreating them, however... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file wont execute

sh filename and it gives me an error saying the file doesnt exist but it definately does. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iago
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

Wont boot

I am new to HP-UX. I have a external SCSI drive with HP-UX on it. I was trying to clone it to another external scsi drive. I added the new drive to existing LVM. Then I used dd command. But it failed with I/O error. Now I cannot boot it from original drive. It's saying panic: LVM: Configuration... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: forhad
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ypbind wont bind?

Well one problem down and another just pops up. I run ypbind and I see Starting NIS service: Binding NIS service: Shutting down NIS service: To my knowledge everything is configured properly. I ran tcpdump on the machine running ypserv to see... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colton
9 Replies

9. HP-UX

emacs wont run

hi i keep getting this error message when i try and run emacs: /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: pthread_mutex_init (code) from ./emacs Abort any ideas? thanks ed. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deusprogrammer
4 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)