Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux /etc/passwd strange behaviour! Post 73903 by penguin-friend on Monday 6th of June 2005 12:00:06 PM
Old 06-06-2005
/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there,

first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a
Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown
on a fedora machine.

Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have any ideas?
As you can see in the uname, it's a samba server! Smilie

Thanx

I just found out in the /var/log/messages:
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: [2005/06/02 14:50:03, 0] rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon_internal(406)
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: cli_net_sam_logon_internal: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: [2005/06/02 14:50:03, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1572)
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user ROOT in domain WORKGROUP to Domain controller atr_2. Error
was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA userdel[1608]: delete user `root'
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA userdel[1608]: delete `root' from shadow group `sirepa'

How can this be?

Last edited by penguin-friend; 06-06-2005 at 01:14 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

6. HP-UX

Strange login behaviour

Hi all, I am using HP-UX and I have just noticed that when I log into the network it seems to save the previous windows that were subsequently closed on previous occasions. Does anyone know when I log in, it seems to display these previous windows, e.g. nedit windows open again? Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange RegExp Behaviour

Hello, I was trying to identify lines who has a word of the following pattern "xyyx" (where x, and ys are different characters). I was trying the following grep - egrep '(\S)()\2\1' This pattern do catches the wanted pattern, but it also catches "GGGG" or "CCCC" patterns. I was trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itskov
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour on my Linux Server.

Hi, I keep getting this error when i run my script: No matter how many times i run this rm -rf /siebel/sfs/tmp/dump it succeeds when i expect it only the first time to succeed becoz i expect the second to fail as the directory should be gone in the first run. i had earlier mentioned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
smbd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  smbd(1M)

NAME
smbd - CIFS server daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd DESCRIPTION
The smbd daemon handles CIFS/SMB requests from CIFS clients, such as Windows clients. Only processes with {PRIV_SYS_SMB} and sufficient privileges to write the /var/run directory can run this daemon. The smbd daemon is automatically invoked by using the sharemgr command over all available transports. By default, smbd starts over the Net- BIOS-Over-TCP (NBT) and TCP transports. When smbd is started over NBT, the following services are started: o The NetBIOS name service is started on UDP port 137. o The NetBIOS datagram service is started on UDP port 138. o The NetBIOS session service is started on TCP port 139. When the smbd daemon is started over TCP, the CIFS service is started on TCP port 445. Only one instance of smbd may be running at a time. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Daemon exited cleanly. 95 Daemon exited with a fatal error. 96 Daemon exited with a configuration error. ATTRIBUTES
See the attributes(5) man page for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsmbsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ps(1), svcs(1), sharectl(1M), sharemgr(1M), smbadm(1M), smbstat(1M), svcadm(1M), smb(4), smbautohome(4), system(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
Use the svcadm command to perform administrative actions on the smbd service, such as enabling, disabling, or restarting the service. Use the svcs command to query the service status. The smbd service is managed by the service management facility under the service identifier svc:/network/smb/server. If the smbd service is disabled, it will be enabled by the sharemgr(1M) command, unless its auto_enable property is set to false. SunOS 5.11 5 Feb 2008 smbd(1M)