Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users strintercept dropping message on unixware Post 73302 by kapilverma_udr on Tuesday 31st of May 2005 04:47:10 AM
Old 05-31-2005
thanks alot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Performance issue from Unixware 2.1 to Unixware 7

Hello, I am having performance problem when , i ported a c code from Unixware 2.1 to Unixware 7.0.0. My program establishes a synchornous connection with the client in a windows OS and then sends and receives messsages using the recv and send calls. What i hyave noticed is that after a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amith
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command dropping last record in File

Hello: I wrote a sed statement that is inserting 3 variables at the beginning of each record in a comma-delimited file: for FILE in *gnrc_lkup.csv do c=`echo $FILE | cut -c1-3` d=`grep $c $RTLIST | cut -c4-6` e=`grep $c $RTLIST | cut -c7` f=`grep $c $RTLIST | cut -c8` sed -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bheeke
5 Replies

3. Linux

Free Linux Memory by Dropping Caches

Linux Kernels 2.6.16 and up provide a way to instruct the kernel to drop the page cache, inode and dentry caches on command. This tip can help free Linux memory without a reboot. Note: This is a non-destructive operation. Dirty objects are not freeable, hence; you must run sync beforehand. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Download speed gradually dropping

RH 4.2.1.13 Hi All, I just installed RH and I am able to connect to the internet via my router. My high speed is such that I should be able to download at over 1000 kb/s. While trying to download oracle database, it is starting at above 1000kb/s and gradually droping to below 40kb/s which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Names dropping out of /etc/aliases

We are having a problem with names being dropped from the /etc/mail/aliases file. There's no pattern to the names being dropped. It is very random. We are running sendmail 8.14.3 on a Solaris 10 server. There are about 9000 lines in the /etc/mail/aliases file. Is there a limitation on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TFord
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash dropping SIGHUPs

I've written a daemon in bash, that waits for a HUP signal and then does some processing, before waiting for the next HUP. It goes something like this: trap gothup=1 HUP while :; do gothup=0 # do some processing ... # now wait for a HUP ... while ; do sleep 30 &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cambridge
4 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dropping Connection

Hi folks, We are pushing messages to an IBM MQ queue on a AIX server where our client connects to from their Windows server and pick up the message. The problem is that every now and then the connection drops and the client application cannot pick up the message. Someone has to bring up the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Create same file name to directory name without dropping it

Hi, Under '/home' directory, there is one file called 'maddy'.Usually there used to be directories under /home directory. # ls -alrt total 132 drwx------ 2 hcladmin sys 4096 May 30 10:54 admin drwxr-xr-x 29 root root 4096 Aug 27 03:54 .. drwx------ 2 v6admin dba ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies

9. Solaris

PF refreshes dropping user connections

We often have to update our ipfilter rules on Solaris 11. svcadm refresh ipfilter drops users every time (we're logged in via the global and then a zlogin to the zone in question). Is there any way not to drop user's connections when modifying ipfilter rules and refreshing the service? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pc's dropping connection to NFS

Hi there. I have a problem with pc's dropping their mounts to a network Nas. The Nas is a Synology DiskStation, it has enough concurrent connections which I think off the top of my head is about 200 and I only need 120. So, question 1 is why will a unix box drop a mount, and 2, how can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
2 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown - close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
shutdown [ -k ] [ -r ] [ -h ] [ -f ] [ -n ] time [ warning-message ... ] DESCRIPTION
Shutdown provides an automated shutdown procedure which a super-user can use to notify users nicely when the system is shutting down, sav- ing them from system administrators, hackers, and gurus, who would otherwise not bother with niceties. Time is the time at which shutdown will bring the system down and may be the word now (indicating an immediate shutdown) or specify a future time in one of two formats: +number and hour:min. The first form brings the system down in number minutes and the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated (as a 24-hour clock). At intervals which get closer together as apocalypse approaches, warning messages are displayed at the terminals of all users on the sys- tem. Five minutes before shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is in less than 5 minutes, logins are disabled by creating /etc/nologin and writing a message there. If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, login(1) prints its contents and exits. The file is removed just before shutdown exits. At shutdown time a message is written in the system log, containing the time of shutdown, who ran shutdown and the reason. Then a termi- nate signal is sent to init to bring the system down to single-user state. Alternatively, if -r, -h, or -k was used, then shutdown will exec reboot(8), halt(8), or avoid shutting the system down (respectively). (If it isn't obvious, -k is to make people think the system is going down!) With the -f option, shutdown arranges, in the manner of fastboot(8), that when the system is rebooted the file systems will not be checked. The -n option prevents the normal sync(2) before stopping. The time of the shutdown and the warning message are placed in /etc/nologin and should be used to inform the users about when the system will be back up and why it is going down (or anything else). FILES
/etc/nologin tells login not to let anyone log in SEE ALSO
login(1), reboot(8), fastboot(8) BUGS
Only allows you to kill the system between now and 23:59 if you use the absolute time for shutdown. 4th Berkeley Distribution November 16, 1996 SHUTDOWN(8)