Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming scanf with strings... please help Post 72936 by Perderabo on Wednesday 25th of May 2005 05:17:45 PM
Old 05-25-2005
From our rules:
(6) Do not post classroom or homework problems.

But I'll give a few hints before I close this thread.

EOF is a constant, often set to -1. Your "if(!EOF)" is waiting for -1 to become 0. You might check the return code from scanf to see it that is EOF. (But then your program is checking for when the user types cntl-D.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Scanf problem under LINUX...

I have a problem reading characters from keyboard with the scanf function. Here there is a little piece of code: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> /* The last 3 libraries are included because in the real program I use some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotronic
4 Replies

2. Programming

scanf doesn´t reads spaces ???

hi all i have a program in C (Unix Solaris 5.7) and i want to read a string from keyboard, but the "scanf" doesn´t reads spaces. example: .... char name; .... printf("Enter your name: "); scanf("%s",&name); printf ("Your name is: %s", name); and if i write Kevin Costner ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
4 Replies

3. Programming

problem with scanf

hi all! i've written a simple c program: #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> int main() { int a; char b; char c; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
4 Replies

4. Programming

simple scanf issue ?

Hello everyone, I hope someone is awake to help me on this.. hey How can I do something like this: The user is asked is asked to enter an int value, but I want to provide a default value on stdout, which they can back space and change it to whatever they want.. for e.g: Enter the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
4 Replies

5. Programming

Better than scanf

I don't know how to do this: printf("creazione nuovo messaggio\n"); printf("insert dest\n"); scanf("%s",dest); printf("insert object\n"); scanf("%s",ogg); printf("inserire text\n"); scanf("%s",test); ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

7. Programming

What is the difference between printf and putchar() or scanf and getchar() ?

Im a newbie to programming language, i found tat there r these function called printf and putchar() as well as scanf and getchar(), im curious abt why do dey hav these 2 different function although dey r doing the same instruction? :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris26
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument 1 of 'scanf' makes po

$ cc Array.c Array.c: In function ‘main’: Array.c:23: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘scanf’ makes po Array.c:25: error: expected expression before ‘return’ Array.c:29: error: expected expression before ‘return’ Array.c: At top level: Array.c:44: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘&’ token... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgradywhite
8 Replies

9. Programming

Scanf() string pointer problem

I have a problem with scanf() for string pointer as member of a struct. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> struct Student { int studentNumber; int phoneNumber; char *studentName; //line 7 // char studentName; //line 8 }; int... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
thr_join(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      thr_join(3C)

NAME
thr_join - wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> int thr_join(thread_t thread, thread_t *departed, void **status); DESCRIPTION
The thr_join() function suspends processing of the calling thread until the target thread completes. The thread argument must be a member of the current process and cannot be a detached thread. See thr_create(3C). If two or more threads wait for the same thread to complete, all will suspend processing until the thread has terminated, and then one thread will return successfully and the others will return with an error of ESRCH. The thr_join() function will not block processing of the calling thread if the target thread has already terminated. If a thr_join() call returns successfully with a non-null status argument, the value passed to thr_exit(3C) by the terminating thread will be placed in the location referenced by status. If the target thread ID is 0, thr_join() finds and returns the status of a terminated undetached thread in the process. If no such thread exists, it suspends processing of the calling thread until a thread for which no other thread is waiting enters that state, at which time it returns successfully, or until all other threads in the process are either daemon threads or threads waiting in thr_join(), in which case it returns EDEADLK. See NOTES. If departed is not NULL, it points to a location that is set to the ID of the terminated thread if thr_join() returns successfully. RETURN VALUES
If successful, thr_join() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
EDEADLK A joining deadlock would occur, such as when a thread attempts to wait for itself, or the calling thread is waiting for any thread to exit and only daemon threads or waiting threads exist in the process. ESRCH No undetached thread could be found corresponding to the given thread ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
thr_create(3C), thr_exit(3C), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
Using thr_join(3C) in the following syntax, while (thr_join(0, NULL, NULL) == 0); will wait for the termination of all non-daemon threads, excluding threads that are themselves waiting in thr_join(). SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 2000 thr_join(3C)