Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Interpretting the result of TOP command Post 7249 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of September 2001 03:58:30 PM
Old 09-21-2001
If you and I are on the system and we both run vi to edit different files, no modern kernel will give us two complete seperate copies of vi. The program's memory will be broken into segments. The text segment contains (roughly) the code and the unchanging constants. We will share one text segment bewteen us. We each get a data segment and we each get a stack. top will report the total of all the segments for each process, but you can't add them up and expect that system needs to use that much physical memory. With shared libraries, it get a bit more confused. If you use emacs and I use vi, will we have different text segments, but we both might be using the same copy of printf and other library functions. Oracle is probably using shared memory which further complicates things. Shared memory is another memory segment, and again many processes can map that seqment into their memory space. So 100 copies of a 700 MB program might easily fit in a couple of GB of memory.

In view of all this, it really isn't possible anymore to truly say how much memory a single process is using in the sense that you want. Each process really is using 700MB, but they are sharing very large chucks of this with other processes.

Most versions of top have a line that shows system-wide memory usage.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hey, Using one single line of command i am trying to show the CPU usage for 4 processors and then filter it out and write it to a text file. Everything seams ok except that i am not able to switch from having the top command show me all CPU processes seperate opposed to showing me the average of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Georgesaa
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi , can some one please assist me in using top command im facing following after using top: # top -hv UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected # top -p UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
3 Replies

3. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk top not getting the "k" result

Hi all, I have the script : top -n 1 | awk '{ if (NR==4) print $5 }' It will return me with one memory usage : for instance 3134720k However, I need to be returned only the number : 3134720 Does anyone knows how to fix the script that return the number (without k) thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peuceul
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preserving the format of top command result

hi, I have tried the below command in RHEL5: top|mailx -s "test" "abc@cvf.com" But in the mail the content was not in proper format. Is there any way to preserve the format ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Analyzing Linux's top command's result

RHEL 5.4 What are the first things you would look for when analyzing Linux's top command output? Below is a top output from one of our Linux machines; Do you see anything wrong? top - 15:56:01 up 133 days, 5:55, 5 users, load average: 2.94, 2.93, 6.58 Tasks: 178 total, 2 running,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi All, i am using the below command and once get the output and i need to keep the first batch only.in this case how to do this one. please help me on thistop -b -n 5 >top.txt Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
SHMAT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  SHMAT(2)

NAME
shmat, shmdt -- map/unmap shared memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> void * shmat(int shmid, void *shmaddr, int shmflg); int shmdt(void *shmaddr); DESCRIPTION
shmat() maps the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier shmid into the address space of the calling process. The address at which the segment is mapped is determined by the shmaddr parameter. If it is equal to 0, the system will pick an address itself. Otherwise, an attempt is made to map the shared memory segment at the address shmaddr specifies. If SHM_RND is set in shmflg, the system will round the address down to a multiple of SHMLBA bytes (SHMLBA is defined in <sys/shm.h> ). A shared memory segment can be mapped read-only by specifying the SHM_RDONLY flag in shmflg. shmdt() unmaps the shared memory segment that is currently mapped at shmaddr from the calling process' address space. shmaddr must be a value returned by a prior shmat() call. A shared memory segment will remain existant until it is removed by a call to shmctl(2) with the IPC_RMID command. RETURN VALUES
shmat() returns the address at which the shared memory segment has been mapped into the calling process' address space when successful, shmdt() returns 0 on successful completion. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
shmat() will fail if: [EACCES] The calling process has no permission to access this shared memory segment. [ENOMEM] There is not enough available data space for the calling process to map the shared memory segment. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier. shmaddr specifies an illegal address. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments has reached the system-wide limit. shmdt() will fail if: [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the start address of a mapped shared memory segment. SEE ALSO
shmctl(2), shmget(2), mmap(2) BSD
August 17, 1995 BSD