Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking for invalid chars
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking for invalid chars Post 68428 by Just Ice on Sunday 3rd of April 2005 06:54:45 PM
Old 04-03-2005
you could also use ...
Code:
cat -v file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace chars,

:rolleyes: Hi, I want to replace the particular text in the middle of the line. Ex. In the line 40-50 wanted to replace the char as 'x' (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut last 4 chars

hi i wanted to cut last 4 chars from a text file Input A-B-C-V-15-0115 A-BL-CLE-T-VALUE-0125 M-T-L-G-0115 AT-PR-PE-CCT-0135 Output 0115 0125 0115 0135 I tried cut -f - -d "-" (thinking cut -f 5- -d"-" gives 5 ot end of line so only - should give last but floped) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert C source from 8bit chars to 16bit chars?

I was using the following bash command inside the emacs compile command to search C++ source code: grep -inr --include='*.h' --include='*.cpp' '"' * | sed "/include/d" | sed "/_T/d" | sed '/^ *\/\//d' | sed '/extern/d' Emacs will then position me in the correct file and at the correct line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Euro Sign and some other chars

First of all hello, this is my first post here. :) I have a problem with displaying the euro sign and two other characters from the ISO8859-7 greek set (the drachma sign and the ipogegrameni) in the UNIX platform. Either when I type them normally or if i try to read a text file with some of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavlos87
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

op is invalid

In the following code a= echo $? echo $? Why the op is (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lipun4u
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all chars before .

Howdy, I need a command which will find all of the characters in a line before the first . I am using Korn Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
3 Replies

8. SCO

Stop boot system at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases"

Hi, (i'm sorry for my english) I'm a problem on boot sco unix 5.0.5 open server. this stop at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases" (See this image ) I'm try this: 1) http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/50/37093/#post37094 2) SCO: SCO Unix - Server hangs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: buji
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

number of chars

I am curious why the below returns 4 instead of 3 wc -c <<<aaa Whereasa=aaa;echo ${#a} returns 3. How to get 3 using here -string operator in the above scenario Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
uniq(1) 							   User Commands							   uniq(1)

NAME
uniq - report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-f fields] [-s char] [ input_file [output_file]] uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-n] [ + m] [ input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility will read an input file comparing adjacent lines, and write one copy of each input line on the output. The second and suc- ceeding copies of repeated adjacent input lines will not be written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Precedes each output line with a count of the number of times the line occurred in the input. -d Suppresses the writing of lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignores the first fields fields on each input line when doing comparisons, where fields is a positive decimal integer. A field is the maximal string matched by the basic regular expression: [[:blank:]]*[^[:blank:]]* If fields specifies more fields than appear on an input line, a null string will be used for comparison. -s chars Ignores the first chars characters when doing comparisons, where chars is a positive decimal integer. If specified in con- junction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. If chars specifies more characters than remain on an input line, a null string will be used for comparison. -u Suppresses the writing of lines that are repeated in the input. -n Equivalent to -f fields with fields set to n. +m Equivalent to -s chars with chars set to m. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: input_file A path name of the input file. If input_file is not specified, or if the input_file is -, the standard input will be used. output_file A path name of the output file. If output_file is not specified, the standard output will be used. The results are unspeci- fied if the file named by output_file is the file named by input_file. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the uniq command The following example lists the contents of the uniq.test file and outputs a copy of the repeated lines. example% cat uniq.test This is a test. This is a test. TEST. Computer. TEST. TEST. Software. example% uniq -d uniq.test This is a test. TEST. example% The next example outputs just those lines that are not repeated in the uniq.test file. example% uniq -u uniq.test TEST. Computer. Software. example% The last example outputs a report with each line preceded by a count of the number of times each line occurred in the file: example% uniq -c uniq.test 2 This is a test. 1 TEST. 1 Computer. 2 TEST. 1 Software. example% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of uniq: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
comm(1), pack(1), pcat(1), sort(1), uncompress(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1996 uniq(1)