Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find files in Directories
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find files in Directories Post 68264 by zazzybob on Saturday 2nd of April 2005 06:17:56 AM
Old 04-02-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sglinux
find . -type f -print | grep file.txt
find * -type f -print | grep file.txt
find / -type f -print | grep file.txt
No need for the grep....

find / -name "file.txt" -type f -exec ls -l {} \;

Looking at your input file, s script such as the following should get you started....
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

while read line; do
   filename=${line##*/}
   wcho "Finding filename: ${filename}"
   find . -name "${filename}" -type f -exec ls -l {} \; 2>/dev/null
done < filelist

exit 0

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -type d returning files as well as directories

Can anyone see why the following command returns all files and not just the directories as specified? find . -type d -exec ls -F {} \; Also tried find . -type d -name "*" -exec ls -F {} \; find . -type d -name "*" -exec ls -F '{}' \; -print Always returns all files :-\ OS is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuns99
2 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find and delete empty files and directories

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to make a script, to remove all empty files and folders from current category. It also should show the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itixop
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Files with a input in directories

So i have directories that store logs, 1 directorie for each day, with the name like this : 2012_07_01/ 2012_07_02/ and for each directorie we have the logs, inside them lives the logs for that day, and every log have this name pattern : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd0spt
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to go Into Directories and Find/Delete files

I have a task, I usually do manually, but with growing responsibilities I tend to forget to do this weekly, I want to write a script that automates this, but I cant seem to work it out in my head, I have the shell of it out, but need help, and you guys have helped me with EVERY problem I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find only files/directories with different permissions/owners

My git post-update has the following lines in it to make sure the permissions are set right: find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755 find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644 chown -R apache:apache /usr/local/apache/htdocsThe only problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find all files in the current directory excluding hidden files and directories

Find all files in the current directory only excluding hidden directories and files. For the below command, though it's not deleting hidden files.. it is traversing through the hidden directories and listing normal which should be avoided. `find . \( ! -name ".*" -prune \) -mtime +${n_days}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Files In A List with known Partial Directories

First I'm new to Linux and have used the find command pretty often but this is where I've hit a snag. I have a file that contains 3500 files that I want to find and then eventually copy to my own directory (these files are all on a shared directory at work atm). Our work computer are huge and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Myrona
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop over certain user directories and find files

Hello I have user directories that contain /temp directory. Example folders: /user1/temp/ /user2/temp/ /user3/temp/ How can i loop over all user directories and find all files only in their /temp folder? Thanks a lot for help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flavius42
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common files between two directories

I have two directories Dir 1 /home/sid/release1 Dir 2 /home/sid/release2 I want to find the common files between the two directories Dir 1 files /home/sid/release1>ls -lrt total 16 -rw-r--r-- 1 sid cool 0 Jun 19 12:53 File123 -rw-r--r-- 1 sid cool 0 Jun 19 12:53... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command excluding directories and some files

hello. I try to print a list of files but excluding some directories and some files. I would like to write a command for : find "from_dir" "ignore dir1, dir2, ..." "ignore file1, file2,...." "where file are older than 2017-02-03T06:00:00" Note that "DO_IT" is a local function in the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)