Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Taking System Backup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Taking System Backup Post 6788 by ST2000 on Wednesday 12th of September 2001 03:25:35 PM
Old 09-12-2001
Taking System Backup

Hello Guys:
Would like to know how to take an entire system backup.. Here is the entire scenario.. I am working on a system that is AIX RS6000 M80 Server. We have loaded the OS and installed all the patches and then we took an entire system backup. We also verified by restoring the same successfully.. The next part of the plan is to install Oracle Server, create a database and then take another backup. Have the same restored and once verified, keep the tapes safely for disaster recovery.. After successfully creatiing the Oracle DB, I tried taking the backup but it only takes rootvg and not the oraclevg.. I am only DBA and not a sys admin.. Can anyone be able to identify my situation and give me steps in detail, I would really appreciate it.. The mksysb does backup of rootvg only and there is no more options to it..
Thanks, ST

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking backup en getting info about it

I want to write a script that tells me if the tape device is ready, if the answer is not yes ($?is not 0) i get an answer that the tape_device is not ready. If the tape is ready i can do a tar -cvf $tape1 * . How can i write a script to control if the tapedevice is ready or not? How can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eddyvdv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking a system off a network on a system

say i have a system on thats on a network with access to the internet. now, i have sensitive information on this system and i do not want the system to be connected to the outside world anymore. how do i get it off the network without actually having to disconnect the cables? i'm asking this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Showing Device Does Not Exist While Taking Backup

Friends, while taking backup on /dev/rmt/0cn it is showing device does not exists. I have checked /dev/rmt 0cn is present there with link file created in /devices/pci@8,700000/scsi@5/st@5,0:cn I have checked cd /devices/pci@8,700000/scsi@5 but st@5,0:cn is not there. But I found st@3,0:cn. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
3 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Xorg is taking System Resources.

Hi All, I am facing System Speed problem.i saw in top command Xorg process was taking most of the time 20% of CPU and Memory.How to make it normal. Currently i am using AMD Athlon 64 HT technology processor(Socket 939) 512 DDR1 RAM Nvidia 5200 GeForce 128 MB Graphic card. i need help in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a full system backup excluding data and restoring it to a new system

Hi, In order to have a sand box machine that I could use to test some system changes before going to production state, I'd like to duplicate a working system to a virtual one. Ideally, I'd like to manage to do it this way : - Make a full system backup excluding the user file system (this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagaille
7 Replies

6. AIX

64K Paging taking place when available system ram exists

We are on AIX 6100-03-01 and our Admin said we are hitting "64K PAGING TAKING PLACE WHEN AVAILABLE SYSTEM RAM EXISTS " issue addressed by IZ71987 / IZ71850 / IZ72031 / IZ71191 / IZ71603. We are thinking to upgrade the OS to AIX 6.1 TL 6 SP3. Wondering if this issue "64K PAGING TAKING PLACE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunusernewbie
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for taking backup of desktop files.

Hi Friends, I need help. I have around 100 users. I want to take date wise backup of files which are on desktop for every user. My user directory path is -: /home/dr/<user_name>/Desktop 1) Script has to run on a perticular time everyday 2) Script has to take backup of all files present... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to find out bottleneck if system is taking long time in gzip

Dear All, OS = Solaris 5.10 Hardware Sun Fire T2000 with 1 Ghz quode core We have oracle application 11i with 10g database. When ever i am trying to take cold backup of database with 55GB size its taking long time to finish. As the application is down nobody is using the server at all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoojamu
8 Replies

9. HP-UX

Temp folder Getting full while taking backup.

Hi Experts, When i taking backup of my servers in Tape Library simultaneously the Temp folder is getting full...... these file like OB2DBG*.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
2 Replies

10. AIX

Cloning a system via mksysb backup from one system and restore to new system

Hello All, I am trying to clone an entire AIX virtual machine to a new virtual machine including all partitions and OS.Can anyone help me on the procedure to follow? I am not really sure on how it can be done.Thanks in advance. Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, and for code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)