Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lot of commands not found!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers lot of commands not found! Post 63299 by asif iqbal on Wednesday 23rd of February 2005 11:10:57 PM
Old 02-24-2005
Still cc and gcc not found

I have figured out the problem associated with the users. The directory you create for users is owned by the SU(root), so you must change its owner and group.
However cc and gcc are still not found. Can you please help me with that?

thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not found.

I executed my script and it says not found. #! /bin/ksh trymonitor.sh: rm: not found. + sleep 15 trymonitor.sh: sleep: not found. trymonitor.sh: awk: not found. trymonitor.sh: wc: not found. Thanks and Regards, Kay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename a lot of files again

here I go again...kinda hard to explain so I apologize. I need to rename a bunch of files in a directory. I need to remove the first three characters of the filename, and then toward the end of the filename there is constant text inside of brackets. here is a demo (not for real) 'ls -1' of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a lot of help with a script

First off just would like to say hello I'm new to this forum but it looks very interesting and I'm sure I will learn a lot from the various people here.:b: I'm new to UNIX and more so scripting in it. I have an assignment for a class that's mostly done online and my teacher is of no help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tweak
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help! I need a lot of help with unix!

Hey people, at first: I'm from Germany, so my english isn't very good, okay?;) I this september I start with my studys and now we use UNIX! I understand nothing. No, that's not right, at the beginnig I understood a little bit. But now we are at the .profile and there I have problem because my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tsukasu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

chmod a lot of files

So i have about 600gb of data.. in which there are alot of directories and alot of files.. Im trying to put this on a ftp server.. So i want to set the permissions on the directories to be 755 and the permission on the files to be 644. So i used: find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {}\; and find .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supermiguel
6 Replies

6. SCO

Very lot of systemcalls

I have one system running SCO MP4, whitch has sometimes a lot of system calls /s : CALLS/s: 23405 calls 0 forks 0 execs 6067 reads 78 writs 11975 Krwch PAGING/s: 0 pgins 0 pgots 5983 atchs 0 pflts 322 vfltsThese values are found with the tool rtpm ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkuiper
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need lot of examples

Hi, I need a word doc or pdf which contains lots of Shell Programming samples... This is for my open book examination, thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikeayan
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Baisc commands in Solaris 10 not found

I just installed Solaris 10 on my virtual machine. firstly I want to complie a c program using gcc but "the gcc is not found" so I looked for a way and try to install the gcc and I tried the following command pkg install gcc-45 but however, the "pkg is not found as well" I also tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberts123
2 Replies
install(1M)															       install(1M)

NAME
install - install commands SYNOPSIS
dira] dirb] dirc] group] user] file [dirx ...] DESCRIPTION
is a command most commonly used in ``makefiles'' (see make(1)) to install a file (updated target file) in a specific place within a file system. Each file is installed by copying it into the appropriate directory, thereby retaining the mode and owner of the original command. The program prints messages telling the user exactly what files it is replacing or creating and where they are going. is useful for installing new commands, or new versions of existing commands, in the standard directories (i.e. etc.). If no options or directories (dirx...) are given, searches a set of default directories and in that order) for a file with the same name as file. When the first occurrence is found, issues a message saying that it is overwriting that file with file (the new version), and proceeds to do so. If the file is not found, the program states this and exits without further action. If one or more directories (dirx ...) are specified after file, those directories are searched before the directories specified in the default list. Options Options are interpreted as follows: Installs a new command (file) in the directory specified by dira, only if it is not found. If it is found, issues a message saying that the file already exists, and exits without overwriting it. Can be used alone or with the option. Forces file to be installed in given directory, whether or not one already exists. If the file being installed does not already exist, the mode and owner of the new file will be set to and respectively. If the file already exists, the mode and owner will be that of the already existing file. Can be used alone or with the or options. Ignores default directory list, searching only through the given directories (dirx ...). Can be used alone or with any other options other than and If file is not found in any of the searched directories, it is put in the directory specified in dirc. The mode and owner of the new file will be set to and respectively. Can be used alone or with any other options other than and If file is found, this option saves the ``found'' file by copying it to in the directory in which it was found. This option is useful when installing a normally busy text file such as or where the existing file cannot be removed. Can be used alone or with any other options other than Causes file to be owned by group group. This option is available only to users who have appropriate privileges. Can be used alone or with any other option. Causes file to be owned by user user. This option is available only to users who have appropriate privileges. Can be used alone or with any other option. Suppresses printing of messages other than error messages. Can be used alone or with any other options. When no directories are specified (dirx ...), or when file cannot be placed in one of the directories specified, checks for the existence of the file If exists, it is used to determine the final destination of file. If does not exist, the default directory list is further scanned to determine where file is to be located. The file contains a list of absolute pathnames, one per line. The pathname is the "official" destination (for example of the file as it appears on a file system. The file serves as a master list for system command destinations. If there is no entry for file in the file the default directory list is further scanned to determine where file is to be located. Cross Generation The environment variable is used to locate the locations file (in the form This is necessary in cases where cross generation is being done on a production system. Furthermore, each pathname in is appended to (for example, and used as the destination for file. Also, the default directories are also appended to so that the default directories are actually and The file does not exist on a distribution tape; it is created and used by local sites. WARNINGS
cannot create alias links for a command (for example, vi(1) is an alias link for ex(1)). SEE ALSO
make(1), cpset(1M). install(1M)