Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Last word of lines
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Last word of lines Post 61297 by vibhor_agarwali on Wednesday 2nd of February 2005 01:45:40 AM
Old 02-02-2005
Thanks got it,

Mine awk doesn't support -v option.
I had to use nawk.

How is nawk different from awk.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append word to lines

Hi all, Can someone suggest how to append some word to all lines in file. for example word "Honey" to file f1 with lines: Mia Katrin Elizabeth to get Honey Mia Honey Katrin Honey Elizabeth Thanks in advance Givi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giviut
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep lines containing a word only twice.

Hi, I have a query on using grep options. I tried with several options but unable to do it. lanite:52> cat note 123 456 ab 123 ab cv 234 4566 67 ab gh tij ab 12 34 ab ab cv dfgv ab cv ab kjhk ab ghj sdf dfg ab jljklj ab Now, I need to use grep to find the line which contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dilipr25
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines above and below a word!

i jst want to delete a host entry from httpd.conf for eg: i have entries such as: <VirtualHost 192.168.1.157:80> DocumentRoot /home/karthik ServerName kar </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.157:80> DocumentRoot /home/karthik1 ServerName www </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a word and the two lines before?

Hi I have this txt file getting from a lpstat command. XA40 XA40 0 Unknown 0 0 1 1 1 0 Unknown LPD 0 0 1 1 2 0 Unknown specified 0 0 1 1 3 XA99 @spip READY : (FATAL ERROR) 0781-233 Unknown host spiprs01.mon.local. XA01 @xs00 READY XA01 XA01 0 Unknown 0 0 1 1 1 0 Unknown LPD 0 0 1 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatao71
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with a word and their above lines

Hi, i have a file like this: A1 kdfjdljfdkljfdlf A2 lfjdlfkjddkjf A3 ***no hit*** A4 ldjfldjfdk A5 ***no hit*** A6 jldfjdlfjdlkfjd I want to remove the lines "***no hit*** and their above line to get an output file like this: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_simpsons
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all lines in file such that each word on that line appears in at least n lines of the file

I have a file where every line includes four expressions with a caret in the middle (plus some other "words" or fields, always separated by spaces). I would like to extract from this file, all those lines such that each of the four expressions containing a caret appears in at least four different... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uncleMonty
9 Replies
AMPLOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMPLOT(8)

NAME
amplot - visualize the behavior of Amanda SYNOPSIS
amplot [ -c ] [ -e ] [ -g ] [ -l ] [ -p ] [ -t T ] amdump_files DESCRIPTION
Amplot reads an amdump output file that Amanda generates each run (e.g. amdump.1) and translates the information into a picture format that may be used to determine how your installation is doing and if any parameters need to be changed. Amplot also prints out amdump lines that it either does not understand or knows to be warning or error lines and a summary of the start, end and total time for each backup image. Amplot is a shell script that executes an awk program (amplot.awk) to scan the amdump output file. It then executes a gnuplot program (amplot.g) to generate the graph. The awk program is written in an enhanced version of awk, such as GNU awk (gawk version 2.15 or later) or nawk. During execution, amplot generates a few temporary files that gnuplot uses. These files are deleted at the end of execution. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. OPTIONS
-c Compress amdump_files after plotting. -e Extend the X (time) axis if needed. -g Direct gnuplot output directly to the X11 display (default). -p Direct postscript output to file YYYYMMDD.ps (opposite of -g). -l Generate landscape oriented output. -t T Set the right edge of the plot to be T hours. The amdump_files may be in various compressed formats (compress, gzip, pact, compact). INTERPRETATION
The figure is divided into a number of regions. There are titles on the top that show important statistical information about the configu- ration and from this execution of amdump. In the figure, the X axis is time, with 0 being the moment amdump was started. The Y axis is divided into 5 regions: QUEUES: How many backups have not been started, how many are waiting on space in the holding disk and how many have been transferred successfully to tape. %BANDWIDTH: Percentage of allowed network bandwidth in use. HOLDING DISK: The higher line depicts space allocated on the holding disk to backups in progress and completed backups waiting to be written to tape. The lower line depicts the fraction of the holding disk containing completed backups waiting to be written to tape including the file currently being written to tape. The scale is percentage of the holding disk. TAPE: Tape drive usage. %DUMPERS: Percentage of active dumpers. The idle period at the left of the graph is time amdump is asking the machines how much data they are going to dump. This process can take a while if hosts are down or it takes them a long time to generate estimates. AUTHOR
Olafur Gudmundsson ogud@tis.com Trusted Information Systems formerly at University of Maryland, College Park BUGS
Reports lines it does not recognize, mainly error cases but some are legitimate lines the program needs to be taught about. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amdump(8), gawk(1), nawk(1), awk(1), gnuplot(1), sh(1), compress(1), gzip(1) 4th Berkeley Distribution AMPLOT(8)