Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Interested in partial command output. Post 59277 by videsh77 on Wednesday 15th of December 2004 09:28:23 AM
Old 12-15-2004
Hammer & Screwdriver Interested in partial command output.

Command output is given to the console. As in the following case -

wc -l filename
produces following output
nn filename

From this, I am only interested with nn(rowcount). Cant we simply extract it thr console?

I also tried with null device, I know as - /dev/null

wc -l filename > /dev/null | cut -d " " -f 1 /dev/null

This also didnt help me.

Will I have to use temporary file, in order to retrieve only rowcount?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extremely Interested

As i was reading an article on being a "HACKERS" which was 30 minutes ago thinking that HACKING was the same as CRACKING, after the reading i discovered their difference, a hacker builds the internet while crackers just cracks and annoy like phreaking and breaking into people's computer. That... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Punk18
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interested, but lost.

Alright, so I'm interested in using Unix, but I have a couple of pretty basic questions: 1) What's the relationship between Linux and Unix? Are they one and the same, or completely different? 2) Can you use Unix on a laptop? and 3) Where can you get Unix? Thanks for listening. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ned
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching partial columns and returning maximum as output

Hello, I am just getting starting with awk and wondering if anyone could help with the following problem. I have a large file of data, 50,000 rows x 6 columns. I would like to search in blocks of 500 rows for a maximum value in a specific column and compile an output file that prints the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xb_analysis
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interested in getting new projects

Hi , I am interested in getting some new projects on shell scripting . Can some one suggest me some bidding site where I can get the projects. Regards (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

In which sport are you interested?

I am swimmer and also gym is here . What sport do you practice ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Print partial line/partial field

Hello, this is probably a simple request but I've been toying with it for a while. I have a large list of devices and commands that were run with a script, now I have lines such as: a-router-hostname-C#show ver I want to print everything up to (and excluding) the # and everything after it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies
SEGEDIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							SEGEDIT(1)

NAME
segedit - extract and replace sections from object files SYNOPSIS
segedit [ option ] name ... input_file [-extract segname sectname filename] ... [[-replace segname sectname filename] ... -output out- put_file] DESCRIPTION
Segedit extracts and or replaces the named sections from the input_file and creates an output_file (if replacing a section). The segment and section names are the same as specified to ld(1) with the -segcreate option. The segment and section names of an object file can be examined with the -l option to otool(1). Only sections in segments that have no relocation to or for them can be replaced (marked with the SG_NORELOC segment flag) but all sections can be extracted. The options to segedit(1): -extract segname sectname filename Extracts the section specified by the segment name section name pair and places the contents in the specified filename. -replace segname sectname filename Will replace the section specified by the segment name section name pair and places and take the new contents for the section from the specified filename. The -output filename option must also be specified. The resulting size of the section will be rounded to a multiple of 4 bytes and padded with zero bytes if necessary. -output output_file Specifies the output file to create when replacing sections. SEE ALSO
ld(1), otool(1) LIMITATIONS
Only mach-O format files that are laid out in a contiguous address space and with their contents ordered in the order of increasing address can have their segments replaced by this program. This layout is what the link editor produces by default. Apple Computer, Inc. October 23, 1997 SEGEDIT(1)