Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with a backup script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with a backup script Post 53689 by RTM on Thursday 22nd of July 2004 09:45:51 AM
Old 07-22-2004
Then the mt command should work - check out the man page for status option.

Something like the following is what you are looking for

/usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/Xhbn status

Where X is the tape drive number

You will have to look at the different status that you may get returned - it may come back as /dev/rmt/Xhbn: Device busy as an example. Once you know what to look for, then you can script it

tapestatus=`/usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/Xhbn status`

Note: I don't have a tape drive I can test this on so I leave it up to you - the 'device busy' may not come back on standard out so getting the status may be a little more involved. Also the options /Xhbn - you may not need all of them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Backup Script

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question but I have a script on an IBM RS6000 that has quit working. I can manually run a backup using SMIT and it appears okay, but not sure about the script. ----------code------------ #!/bin/ksh #set -x echo backup beginning date find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: geek4sur
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Script

Hi, My SCO Unixware 7.1.1 box is setup to run an EOD backup script, which is as follows: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- start End-of-day compress $BASE TO /home/compdir write /home/compdir to DATTAPE end ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in backup script

Hello folks. Good Day! i want to backup /var/www directory backup to another system daily basis incremental backup and weekly full backup. Directory name where it should automatically created like 2010-04-20 i mean via script. Can some one help? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating file restoration script from a backup script.

Hi all i am struggling in creating a restore of env files while doing applications clone. the first file i created for copying the important configurations file which is running perfect now for reverting the changes i mean when i am restoring these files to its original places i have to do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script / Test if script is already running

Hello everyone, I have 2 questions : 1) I have a backup shell script, let's call it backup.sh, that is called every hour as a cron job. As a matter of fact a backup could last more than one hour. It mounts a NAS and then do some rsync on important directories, so really I don't want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup Script

I have write the following script, its execution i got following error: !/bin/sh # # dy='date +%d%b%y' hn="ECTMPROD12" bk='/home/backup' sb=$bk'/'$hn # # cm_d01='tar -czf /home/backup/'$hn'_'$dy'_ofhome.tar.gz /home/oracle/ofhome' # # echo "***** start time of ECTMPROD12 backup full"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizwan.shaukat
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup Script

I don't know how to repair this script :/ My OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04 "Bionic Beaver" LTS (64bits) #!/bin/bash # ### Ustawienia - sciezki do plików ### DIRS="/home/ts/ /home/mc/" BACKUP=/home/backup.$$ NOW=$(date +"%d-%m-%Y") DELDATE=$(date -d "-7 days" +"%d-%m-%Y") DAY=$(date +"%a") #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xCraftRayX
4 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)