Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tape Serial Number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tape Serial Number Post 53657 by jorge.ferreira on Wednesday 21st of July 2004 01:44:00 PM
Old 07-21-2004
Hammer & Screwdriver How do I label my tapes?

Ok, this is the deal.

The backup is being made by a tar command, directly to the tape. Something like: tar cvf ./xpto /dev/tape

In this script i check the time of start and end of the script and the amount of files in each directory copied. Each of these informations are being sent to a text file wich is created with the "DayMonthYear.txt" format. Something like 01122004.txt.

Another information i would like to put in these text files is if the backup is being made to the right tape. Because the backup of Friday wouldn't be made to the Wednesday tape. Tapes' got to be chaged daily.

So aparently the trick is to know witch tape is in the drive. If i can label my tapes and then check the label in the script, I would have the problem solved.

That's it,

Thak you for all your replies,

Jorge Ferreira

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

serial number for E3500

just wanted to know the serial number of my machine E3500 with Solaris 8 installed.Does any one who what's the command that i can use when the OS is running?( not with the Banner Command!) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
3 Replies

2. AIX

how to find serial number

hi how to find ( server machine )serial number throught the command in AIX thanks for your replay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chomca
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Server Serial Number from Solaris

This may be an off the wall question but is there anyway in Solaris to snag the serial number of a Sun box? I'm not sure if you can do this but it would save me a long drive to the data center to get the serial number to renew support... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Display Serial Number

Hello, I am running Solaris 9 and I need to display the serial number of my machine. How can I do this? Here is my machine info: SunOS birch 5.9 Generic_118558-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 Thank you, David (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Serial number

Hi Solarizer ;) I have face the difficulties of gathering information about the serial number of sun machine. i think its can do so easy while the machine is just one or two. But i have to administrate hundreds of sun machine. Any body knows how to gather this information by the command ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpx99
4 Replies

6. Solaris

[help] how to get serial number of cpu or other hardware

hi experts, hi all, need help, how to get serial number of cpu or other hardware using command? does anybody know using what syntax? thank you wu (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
8 Replies

7. Linux

Device serial number

Hey! I'm trying to figure out a sollution for a problem I have at my company with an Iomega MiniMax 500 GB USB disk. If i run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get this information: T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=04 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Anyone know how to get Serial number with 1 command?

Solaris8 Anyone help? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
27 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about bind serial number

Hello folks. Please let me understand the bind serial number. I am confuse. 13011321 ---------- Post updated at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:55 AM ---------- Thanks problem is solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies
TS(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     TS(4)

NAME
ts - TS-11 magtape interface SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NTS ts_drives # TS11 /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments ts ? 172520 224 5 tsintr # ts11 driver major device number(s): raw: 8 block: 2 minor device encoding: bits 0003 specify TS drive bit 0004 specifies no-rewind operation bit 0010 ignored DESCRIPTION
The ts-11 combination provides a standard tape drive interface as described in mtio(4). The ts-11 operates only at 1600 bpi, and only one transport is possible per controller. FILES
/dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
mt(1), tar(1), tp(1), mtio(4), ht(4), tm(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
ts%d: no write ring. An attempt was made to write on the tape drive when no write ring was present; this message is written on the termi- nal of the user who tried to access the tape. ts%d: not online. An attempt was made to access the tape while it was offline; this message is written on the terminal of the user who tried to access the tape. ts%d: hard error bn%d xs0=%b xs1=%b xs2=%b xs3=%b. A hard error occurred on the tape at block bn; status registers 0-3 are printed in octal and symbolically decoded as bits. ts%d: addr mod 4 != 0. The address of a TS-11 command packet was not on an even longword boundary. BUGS
If any non-data error is encountered on non-raw tape, it refuses to do anything more until closed. The device lives at the same address as a tm-11 tm(4). 3rd Berkeley Distribution January 28, 1988 TS(4)