Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The forum
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? The forum Post 52874 by dkaplowitz on Monday 28th of June 2004 09:43:56 PM
Old 06-28-2004
What I want to know is:

What was the biggest offer you ever received for rights to the name "unix.com" ? I mean, if "Linux.com" garnered several million from VASystems, UNIX.com must have had similar offers.

Frankly I must commend this site's owner on not having succumbed to the lure of filthy lucre. I personally don't think I would have been as virtuous.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

New Forum

well after a long time, this valuable resource that is UNIX.COM has an off topic forum. personally i think it is a step in the right direction. with a forum like this people can talk about anything they want and not worry about sticking to technical stuff. this keep the integrity of the board high,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi, New to this Forum

I'd like to download some items to get me started with Linix/Unix based system software in order to learn Sun servers and also to send email via unix in a Windows OS/cmd Thanks for your reply to removed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 45andlearning
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

This forum is best

For any unix/linux user/newbie.. this site is best.. it has evry thing for every one !! even if u login daily to this forum.... obesrb the posts and solutions .. u will learn better :) thankss to every one ! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Update: Disabled Home Page Forum Statistics for Guests (Not Registered)

Just a quick update; to speed up the forums, I have disabled the forum statistics on the home page for non registered users. No changes for registered users. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile: Advanced Forum Statistics to Forum Home Page

For mobile users, I have just added a "first beta" Advanced Forum Statistics to the home page on mobile using CSS overflow:auto; so you can swipe if you need to see more. Google Search Console mobile usability says this page is "mobile friendly" so perhaps this will be useful for some of our... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
12 Replies
UNIX(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   UNIX(4)

NAME
unix -- UNIX-domain protocol family SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/un.h> DESCRIPTION
The UNIX-domain protocol family is a collection of protocols that provides local (on-machine) interprocess communication through the normal socket(2) mechanisms. The UNIX-domain family supports the SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM socket types and uses filesystem pathnames for address- ing. ADDRESSING
UNIX-domain addresses are variable-length filesystem pathnames of at most 104 characters. The include file <sys/un.h> defines this address: struct sockaddr_un { u_char sun_len; u_char sun_family; char sun_path[104]; }; Binding a name to a UNIX-domain socket with bind(2) causes a socket file to be created in the filesystem. This file is not removed when the socket is closed--unlink(2) must be used to remove the file. The UNIX-domain protocol family does not support broadcast addressing or any form of ``wildcard'' matching on incoming messages. All addresses are absolute- or relative-pathnames of other UNIX-domain sockets. Normal filesystem access-control mechanisms are also applied when referencing pathnames; e.g., the destination of a connect(2) or sendto(2) must be writable. PROTOCOLS
The UNIX-domain protocol family is comprised of simple transport protocols that support the SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM abstractions. SOCK_STREAM sockets also support the communication of UNIX file descriptors through the use of the msg_control field in the msg argument to sendmsg(2) and recvmsg(2). Any valid descriptor may be sent in a message. The file descriptor(s) to be passed are described using a struct cmsghdr that is defined in the include file <sys/socket.h>. The type of the message is SCM_RIGHTS, and the data portion of the messages is an array of integers repre- senting the file descriptors to be passed. The number of descriptors being passed is defined by the length field of the message; the length field is the sum of the size of the header plus the size of the array of file descriptors. The received descriptor is a duplicate of the sender's descriptor, as if it were created with a call to dup(2). Per-process descriptor flags, set with fcntl(2), are not passed to a receiver. Descriptors that are awaiting delivery, or that are purposely not received, are automatically closed by the system when the destination socket is closed. SEE ALSO
socket(2), intro(4) "An Introductory 4.3 BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial", PS1, 7. "An Advanced 4.3 BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial", PS1, 8. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD