Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to manage multiple versions of a set of shell and SQL script utilities Post 52654 by mbb on Wednesday 23rd of June 2004 08:13:51 AM
Old 06-23-2004
Dennis, there is no easy answer to Source Control and Configuration Management.

Using a Source Control utility such as SCCS, RCS, CVS or (for Windows) Source Safe is an integral activity for project development. I recommend you start using a Source Control utility if you do not already do so.

Your Configuration Management method may seem logical for the time being, but could become tricky to manage with a large amount of files.

Your method, from a systems testing point of view, has a flaw - you do not have a single definitive version of your system to test against. As well as other problems, it means (I think) that you and the testers are both working in the same system?

Consider using something like this:

DEVELOPMENT->TEST->LIVE

where each environment would contain complete suite of your files at whichever version level applies. You would then have an enviromental variable referencing the base directory to the environment
e.g. SYSDIR=/software/dev
or SYSDIR=/software/test

The system files would then be referenced in relation to that directory e.g. $SYSDIR/Bin/myexe
$SYSDIR/Scripts/myscript.sql
$SYSDIR/Sql/mysql.sql

Anyway this is just a suggestion, take it or leave it as you wish.

Also, how do you track changes to your database? It is not clear if you are controlling changes to it or not? Remember a database is in effect a global data area. Because of this, be extremely cautious of making changes to it, especially when you have gone live with your system.

On the subject of Source Control and Configuration Management I urge you to take the following steps:

1) Document your method of version control and how to 'release' a version of a file. Just so everyone knows what is supposed to happen and when ...

2) Document all files, and at which versions, when you make a 'release'.

3) Document a backout plan for a 'release'.

4) Take regular backups of everything. Test the backups will actually work too!.

Hope this helps

MBB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manage starting point in shell script.

Hi, I'd like to run a script with an optional starting point. Meaning that if no parameter for the script => Do everything, otherwise start from the point specified in the parameter and continue till the end. I thought of using the "case ..." but I have no result. Script: # ---------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ai_dba
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Multiple .SQL Files from Single Shell Script file

Hi, Please help me out. I have around 700 sql files to execute in a defined order, how can i do it from shell script (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to manage several versions of Perl modules during the install?

Hello, I would really appreciate any advice on this issue: My Perl Module Environment: /usr/lpp/perl/lib/5.8.7 => has the Perl modules that come with the base Perl installation. Comes first in @INC concatination. /usr/lpp/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.7 => has all my installed Perl modules... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genya01
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute the multiple line sql using shell script

Hi All, Please help me to write a shell script to execute the below sql query. select c.account_no,b.bill_no,a.pay_type,(b.total_due + b.recvd + b.adjusted + b.disputed + b.transferred) as amt_not_billed,d.cash_on_delivery, (select j.bill_no from billinfo_T y, bill_t j where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in passing multiple arguments from a shell script to a pl/sql block

Hi, hope everyone are fine. Please find my issue below, and I request your help in the same In a configuration file, i have a variable defined as below TEST = 'One','Two','Three' I am trying to pass this variable in to a sql script which is define in a pl/sql block as follows, In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

how to execute multiple .sql scripts from within a shell script using sqlplus

using sqlplus I want to execute a .sql script that has dbms_output statments in rhe script. I want to write the dbms_output statements from .sql file to a log file. is this possible. thanks any help would be appreciated :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRS80
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script help needed to manage FTP automation

Hi, I am very new in shell scripting. Have managed to prepare a script which will work to download data to local directory. But facing below problem. :wall: Please help me out. Thanks in advance. Problem: 1. I am unable to use delete command to delete data in the ftp location (I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ImranBD
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing set of sql queries from shell script

Hi All, I tried executing set of queries from shell script but not able to capture the input query in the log file. The code looks something similar to below sqlplus user/pwd@dbname << EOF > output.log $(<inputfile.txt) EOF The above code is capturing the output of queries into... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run different SQL on multiple DBs using SHELL script

Hi Experts, I have a list of Dbs.In that DBs i need to execute some sql scripts. each sql script is unique and it should run on particular DB only. For example. i have DBs like MDC20V,NDC20V,ODC20V and sql scripts like MD.sql,ND.sql,OD.sql.so MD.sql should run only in MDC20V and ND.sql should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navsan420
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do You manage different program versions?

Hallo, I have an general question which happens when installing software by compiling them self. I'm using FreeBSD system 10.0 and the ports. for info, see: http--en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_Ports. As I installed BSD for some years there was (i.e.) perl-14 installed. Now, when doing some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HL1234
1 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD