Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: writing a timer
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting writing a timer Post 52590 by encrypted on Tuesday 22nd of June 2004 02:01:55 PM
Old 06-22-2004
How about a series of dots indicating the process is going on?
Here's the code.

#!/bin/bash
dots()
{
while true
do
echo -e ".\c"
sleep 2
}

clear
echo -e "Processing.Please Wait"
dots &
BG_PID=$!
#Here u can execute the process which is taking some time
<command to execute>
kill $BG_PID
echo "Complete"

Chill
:-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

reply timer

Neo, can u please shorten the reply timer to like 1 min or so. It is prolly just me but i end up passing on replying to posts due to i hate waiting for my timer to reset w/ a 2.5 mins wait. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. Programming

generating timer

I'm trying generate an interrupt every 1 seconds using itimer and My clock is not running. This is what i did : printf("about to sleep for 1 second \n"); signal(SIGALRM, wakeup); //myTimer.it_interval.tv_sec=0; //myTimer.it_interval.tv_usec =0; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Confuse
5 Replies

3. AIX

how to implement timer

anyone can help me how to implement the timer on AIX? I tried with 'setitimer' and its related functions, but it does not work correctly,the program exited each time. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

timer

Hi all, Wanted to a create a shell script ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 1) which when called will start a timer and wait for 48 hours. after 48 hours it will call some function(say XYZ) 2) Whenever this shell script is called (can be called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_oops9
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

VNC Timer

Hello fellows, I am new in this forum, i would appreciate your assistance. I need a timming system for my vnc desktops (Cybercafe timer stuff). Each unix user login to my server only with vnc, and i want to write a program that can generate timer tickets and have control on the time used for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: foweja
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timer for VNC

Hello fellows, I am new in this forum, i would appreciate your assistance. I need a timming system for my vnc desktops (Cybercafe timer stuff). Each unix user login to my server only with vnc, and i want to write a program that can generate timer tickets and have control on the time used for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foweja
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timer interrupt

hello all since a process running in kernel mode cannnot be preempted by any other process what would be the status of Timer interrupt that occurs when the time quantum of a process is elapsed? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timer

Is there a way to make a timer? E.g Please give the seconds... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aekaramg20
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timer

is there a timer function in unix without using C? for example i want to display a message after 5 seconds how do i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing only timing statistics output of Timer to File

I'm running long integrations on a remote server, and I'm working in terminal in a tcsh shell. I'm looking to write ONLY the timing statistics to a file. For example: $time ls >timer.out writes both the files in my current directory & the timer statistics to the file timer.out. I only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elemonier
2 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)