Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ports...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ports... Post 51425 by TechKnow on Wednesday 19th of May 2004 02:46:11 PM
Old 05-19-2004
Data Happy to be of service!

I usually post the solutions (if they haven't been answered) on the boards. They are such a terrific tool. More than once some cowboy somewhere has pulled my bacon out of the fire so to speak... It's nice to return the favor.

With a bit of luck, assuming I have the patience to learn yet another new trick... I will be continuing to learn Unix and will be a regular...

Thanks for running a solid clean board. It is impressive. I am of course assuming it's your board... I particularly like the matrix like effects up north...

Best Regards,
TechKnow MCSE MCDBA
http://justoneguy.com
Virtue is the only thing a man may take beyond his grave...
-Morgan Freeman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ports

how can i check to see if my mail ports are open (port 110 for incoming and 25 for outgoing)? I want to do this because i am having a problem sending email out. If one of the ports has a problem, how can i open it? Thanks in advance! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports

How To Close ports,for example finger port 79?? :confused: :confused: :confused: 10x (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yaki
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports

I know i can look in the /etc/services file to look at referenced port numbers, but is there a command that will list the current ports being used? (i.e. what is the application does not have an entry in the services files :confused: ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralf
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

ports???

Ok, I've been working in the IT field for about 3 years now and I never fully understood the concept of ip ports. I just started a new job that uses Solaris and today it kinda clicked in my head and I want to know if I'm right or wrong. Does each ip address have multiple ports. because we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

Ports

What are some good sites that list all TPC/UDP ports? ~thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ireeneek
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Ports

Can any one tell the command for which process are running on a perticular port (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zsujith
1 Replies

7. Solaris

regarding ports

Hi , I need one help... Is there any command on solaris 10 to free the ports. For e.g I used netstat -na| grep 8080 it displays either it is listening or established.. i want to free the ports... Anyone please help me on this... Thanks, Shanmuga (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanshine
2 Replies

8. Solaris

ports

Hi, If for example i try to start tomcat in a solaris server and get errors related to address already in use, how can I know if this port is really used for another process? If someone can point any documentation it will be very helpfull. Thanks! :rolleyes: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffpradella
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ports

When the netstat -an command is run on current unix machine, it seems that there's an excessive amount of ports established (roughly 600). How can I tell what each of these ports are being used for? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastchance551
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ports

** forum admins: Before you come down on my like a wrath of something, I can get no decent answers so I have to come to these Gurus' court *** I am by no means Unix expert. However, none of our unix admin (aix & hpux) can give me an answer that makes sense. My Issue: Assigned ports in 8601,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
7 Replies
LEARN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LEARN(1)

NAME
learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX SYNOPSIS
learn [ -directory ] [ subject [ lesson ] ] DESCRIPTION
Learn gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors. To get started simply type learn. If you had used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program will use information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. Your first time through, learn will ask questions to find out what you want to do. Some questions may be bypassed by naming a subject, and more yet by naming a lesson. You may enter the lesson as a number that learn gave you in a previous session. If you do not know the lesson number, you may enter the lesson as a word, and learn will look for the first lesson containing it. If the lesson is `-', learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debugging. The subject's presently handled are files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C There are a few special commands. The command `bye' terminates a learn session and `where' tells you of your progress, with `where m' telling you more. The command `again' re-displays the text of the lesson and `again lesson' lets you review lesson. There is no way for learn to tell you the answers it expects in English, however, the command `hint' prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while `hint m' prints the whole lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what it expects. The -directory option allows one to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. FILES
/usr/share/learn subtree for all dependent directories and files /usr/tmp/pl* playpen directories $HOME/.learnrc startup information SEE ALSO
csh(1), ex(1) B. W. Kernighan and M. E. Lesk, LEARN - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX BUGS
The main strength of learn, that it asks the student to use the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes. It is helpful, espe- cially for nonprogrammers, to have a UNIX initiate near at hand during the first sessions. Occasionally lessons are incorrect, sometimes because the local version of a command operates in a non-standard way. Occasionally a lesson script does not recognize all the different correct responses, in which case the `hint' command may be useful. Such lessons may be skipped with the `skip' command, but it takes some sophistication to recognize the situation. To find a lesson given as a word, learn does a simple fgrep(1) through the lessons. It is unclear whether this sort of subject indexing is better than none. Spawning a new shell is required for each of many user and internal functions. The `vi' lessons are provided separately from the others. To use them see your system administrator. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 LEARN(1)