Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read removable disk
Operating Systems Linux read removable disk Post 46888 by singh85 on Wednesday 28th of January 2004 02:48:58 PM
Old 01-28-2004
Thankx

Hello Tony

Your information was of immense use for me. I was finally able to read the files.

Thank you very much.

Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

I need read data from Disk,please help

Hallo, can You help me with this problem: I have Hard Disk with "SCO Server Release 5.0" and I need read the data from the disk. Know You how can I do it? I only know that the file system is ISC UNIX . I test FreeBSD, but I can not mount the disk (with error message "incorrect super block").... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fik
7 Replies

2. SCO

Read a SCO floppy disk under another OS...

I have formatted a floppy disk under SCO unix. Is there a way I could read this disk under another operating system e.g. Windows or Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgertsos
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Removable External SCSI Harddrive

Hi guys, I have a solaris 9 operating system on a sun solaris machine and one external removable scsi drive connected to it. When i type the following command this is what is displayed: #format AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 17832 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
6 Replies

4. Solaris

removable flash drive

I have a removable usb flash drive which is visible below as no. 2 # rmformat Looking for devices... 1. Volmgt Node: /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0 Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,1/ide@0/sd@0,0 Connected Device: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

5. Solaris

removable usb flash drive

# rmformat Looking for devices... 1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0 Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,1/ide@0/sd@0,0 Connected Device: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B E113 Device Type: DVD Reader/Writer 2. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0 Physical Node:... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
26 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk read and write speed.

Being a novice user to linux i m little unaware of how would i check disk read write speed. One of my mate is suggesting to create a file using dd command and check how much time it takes to create a 30 gb file . I think this has a little sense however i would also like to take your reviews... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a disk label?

Hi there, I'm wondering how to display a disk label (why not edit it but I don't need that yet). I found several commands on forums like disklabel and diskinfo but I can't find them on my system and don't know the package they belong to. Can you help me? Cheers Santiago (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Removable hard disk

Hi Gurus, I have difficulty in configuring removable hard disk in Solaris 8. I have connected hard disk to machine but I do not know how to configure it. Kindly tell me, how should I configure it .. so that I can create a mount point on this and write files to them. Regards Srini (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sri243
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Read/Write Data on CD/RW Disk

Would simply like to write data (no audio) to a CD/RW disk. The disk drive states CD/RW on the front but don't know for sure if the software is configured to recognize it as a writable disk. I can read/move data from the disk to the hard drive with no issue from the disk. Any help in this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jes1trish
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Short Disk Read

Good Afternoon, I am setting up a SunBlade 2000 with Solaris 9. I have a hard drive of unknown condition installed in the bottom slot. The machine powers up to the {ok} I'm trying to boot cdrom -sthe CDROM "Solaris 9 Operating Environment" so I can format the hard drive. I get: Error:... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
13 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)