Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foreach syntax error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting foreach syntax error Post 41672 by r1500 on Friday 10th of October 2003 04:49:02 PM
Old 10-10-2003
foreach syntax error

I wrote a simplistic script which works fine in my HP Korn environment using for in do done but when I converted it for csh it is balking at my syntax specifically the parens for the argument. Any help would be appreciated

set -x
cut -f1 -d, bryan > sim
cut -f2 -d, bryan > imsi
set ki=`cut -f3 -d, bryan`
cut -f4 -d, bryan > cyph
cut -f5 -d, bryan > ans1
cut -f6 -d, bryan > ans2
cut -f7 -d, bryan > ans3
foreach i ($ki)
./des_cryp -k $i -d 1234567891234567 >>ekiout
end
paste -d, sim imsi ekiout cyph ans1 ans2 ans3 > final

error:

./scr: syntax error at line 9: `(' unexpected

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

2. AIX

nim mksysb error :/usr/bin/savevg[33]: 1016,07: syntax error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, help me please. I am trying to create a mksysb bakup using nim. I am geting this error, how to correct it ? : Command : failed stdout: yes stderr: no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell - foreach - No Match error

Hi All, I am facing 'No Match' problem with foreach loop in C shell script. Initially I tried following grep command showing results properly as shown at the end of the Thread. But foreach command is throwing the error 'No match'. grep -n Inserted audit_file foreach insertstr (`grep -n... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop. Error : Too many words from ``

Hi expert, I have a large text file :- number.txt 1 2 3 4 5 6 .... And i using csh foreach loop to read the file line by line. foreach line(`cat number.txt) set number = $line <Calculation> end (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincyoxy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for / foreach syntax issues (in bash or tcsh)

So I am new to unix, and actually anything outside drag and drop with the mouse (been learning for about a week so far) . I have been using the foreach command in tcsh because I am working on a group of files. Basically what I need is to insert part of the filename as the first line in the file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepolypore
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach statement error in cshell

Hi, while executing the following c-shell script i got the error "Couldn't find an 'end' to close a 'foreach' statement" can't find the mistake ...plz help.. script :: echo "enter build folder name in following sequence L-<REV>_<BUILD>" set BUILD = $< set file= `cat file1` foreach i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arup1980
2 Replies

8. Linux

Ambiguous redirect error and syntax error when using on multiple files

Hi, I need help on following linux bash script. When I linux commands for loop or while loop on individual file it runs great. but now I want the script to run on N number of files so it gives me ambiguous redirect error on line 12 and syntax error on line 22 : (pls help ); #!/bin/bash #... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhusudan Das
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF section problem. syntax error: unexpected end of file error

Hello, I have another problem with my script. Please accept my apologies, but I am really nooby in sh scripts. I am writing it for first time. My script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i "Error"` echo $returned if ; then echo "There is no errors in the logs" fi And after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
10 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - overview of various system shells SYNOPSIS
POSIX Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] Korn Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] C Shell [command_file] [argument_list ...] Key Shell DESCRIPTION
Remarks The POSIX .2 standard requires that, on a POSIX-compliant system, executing the command activates the POSIX shell (located in file on HP-UX systems), and executing the command produces an on-line manual entry that displays the syntax of the POSIX shell command-line. However, the command has historically been associated with the conventional Bourne shell, which could confuse some users. To meet stan- dards requirements and also clarify the relationships of the various shells and where they reside on the system, this entry provides com- mand-line syntax and a brief description of each shell, and lists the names of the manual entries where each shell is described in greater detail. The Bourne shell is removed from the system starting with HP-UX 11i Version 1.5. Please use the POSIX shell as an alternative. Shell Descriptions The HP-UX operating system supports the following shells: POSIX-conforming command programming language and command interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell conforms to current POSIX standards in effect at the time the HP-UX system release was introduced, and is similar to the Korn shell in many respects. Similar in many respects to the Korn shell, the POSIX shell contains a history mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. Korn-shell command programming language and commands interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell, like the POSIX shell, contains a his- tory mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. A command language interpreter that incorporates a command history buffer, C-language-like syntax, and job control facilities. Restricted version of the POSIX shell command interpreter. Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. restricted version of the Korn-shell command interpreter Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. An extension of the standard Korn Shell that uses hierarchical softkey menus and context-sensitive help. +--------------+--------------------+ | To obtain: | Use the command: | +--------------+--------------------+ | POSIX Shell | /usr/bin/sh ... | | Korn Shell | /usr/bin/ksh ... | | C Shell | /usr/bin/csh ... | | Key Shell | /usr/bin/keysh | +--------------+--------------------+ These shells can also be the default invocation, depending on the entry in the file. See also chsh(1). WARNINGS
Many manual entries contain descriptions of shell behavior or describe program or application behavior similar to ``the shell'' with a ref- erence to ``see sh(1)''. SEE ALSO
For more information on the various individual shells, see: keysh(1) Key Shell description. ksh(1) Korn Shell description. sh-posix(1) POSIX Shell description. csh(1) C Shell description. sh(1)