Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting up NIS
Operating Systems Solaris Setting up NIS Post 41152 by meyersp on Tuesday 30th of September 2003 09:18:18 AM
Old 09-30-2003
Is there easier ways to administer NIS?

To create a user I was using useradd then copying that users line in /etc/passwd to my /passfiles/passwd. I also did this with the shadow. Then I copied the auto_home to /nisfiles. I updated the auto.nome map and the passwd map after that. Then in order for the user to access his home directory I had to open /etc/dfs/dfstab and add an entry for his home directory. This seems exstremely tedious and long just to add a user. Are there easier ways to do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris NIS+ and RedHat NIS+

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I would like to know if Redhat running NIS ( not NIS +) would have conflict with Solaris running NIS+. Currently I am running NIS+ on Solaris but will be adding RedHat to the network. I seem to be unable to find and information regarding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

differences nis nis+

Hello together. Is there someone who is able to explain me the differences between NIS and NIS+. thanks in advance joerg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User Quota setting with NIS and NAS

Hi Guru, Need some advice on the PROs and CONs between setting up user quota with NAS and Nis. Thanks Regards. YLL (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yll
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Problem while setting NIS master on Solaris 10

Hi All, I get below error while running cd /var/yp /usr/sbin/ypinit -m Error Code - 1 updated netmasks make : warning : target all not remade because of errors current working dir /var/yp *** error code 1 *** make : fatal error : command failed for target 'k' error running... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
4 Replies

9. Linux

NIS

Hi All, I have configured NIS server in linux rhel5 and made one client member to that server. nfs share created for users home directory i have created one nis user, user not able to change the passwd of his login. getting below mentioned error " yppasswdd not running on NIS master... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinay_ks
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies
domainname(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    domainname(1M)

NAME
domainname - set or display name of the current domain SYNOPSIS
domainname [name-of-domain] DESCRIPTION
Without an argument, domainname displays the name of the current domain name used in RPC exchanges, usually referred to as the NIS or NIS+ domain name. This name typically encompasses a group of hosts or passwd entries under the same administration. The domainname command is used by various components of Solaris to resolve names for entries such as are found in passwd, hosts and aliases. By default, naming ser- vices such as NIS and NIS+ use domainname to resolve names. With appropriate privileges (root or an equivalent role [see rbac(5)]), you can set the name of the domain by specifying the name as an argument to the domainname command. The domain name for various naming services can also be set by other means. For example, ypinit can be used to specify a different domain for all NIS calls. The domain name of the machine is usually set during boot time through the domainname command by the svc:/system/iden- tity:domain service. If the new domain name is not saved in the /etc/defaultdomain file, the machine reverts to the old domain after it reboots. The sendmail(1M) daemon, as shipped with Solaris, and the sendmail implementation provided by sendmail.org (formerly referred to as "Berke- ley 8.x sendmail") both attempt to determine a local host's fully qualified host name at startup and both pursue follow-up actions if the initial search fails. It is in these follow-up actions that the two implementations differ. Both implementations use a standard Solaris or Unix system call to determine its fully qualified host name at startup, following the name service priorities specified in nsswitch.conf(4). To this point, the Solaris and sendmail.org versions behave identically. If the request for a fully qualified host name fails, the sendmail.org sendmail sleeps for 60 seconds, tries again, and, upon continuing failure, resorts to a short name. The Solaris version of sendmail makes the same initial request, but then, following initial failure, calls domainname. If successful, the sleep is avoided. On a Solaris machine, if you run the sendmail.org version of sendmail, you get the startup behavior (omitting the domainname call) described above. If you run the Solaris sendmail, the domainname call is made if needed. If the Solaris sendmail cannot determine the fully qualified host name, use check-hostname(1M) as a troubleshooting aid. This script can offer guidance as to appropriate corrective action. FILES
/etc/defaultdomain /etc/nsswitch.conf ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), nischown(1), nispasswd(1), svcs(1), check-hostname(1M), hostconfig(1M), named(1M), nisaddcred(1M), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), ypinit(1M), sys-unconfig(1M), aliases(4), defaultdomain(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5) NOTES
The domainname service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/identity:domain Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 8 Mar 2006 domainname(1M)