Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cdrom problems..
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cdrom problems.. Post 33520 by WIntellect on Wednesday 8th of January 2003 08:41:57 AM
Old 01-08-2003
Another shot-in-the-dark:

How old is the motherboard? I know older ones used to require you to configure the devices specifically, as in, indicate that master 0 was hard disk, slave 0 was cdrom, etc.

Newer motherboards are usually able to self configure these - have you checked such settings in the BIOS? Again, it's probably one of those things that Microshaft ignores!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

still cant get the solaris cdrom!!

ok here is what i do and get: # mount /dev/sd6a /cdrom mount /dev/sd6a write-protected ok so what do i do its a external cdrom and its on scsi number 6. its a SparcSTATION 2. we're trying to put red hat sparc 6.2 on it but it wont boot. i am about to take the hard drives out and install it a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wixifer
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cdrom

How would I mount a cdrom drive in Unix (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hordak
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cdrom boot problems

Hi Everyone, I have a problem. I'm trying too reinstall sun solaris 8.0 on may Sunfire 280r but solaris 9.0 is all ready installed. I tried to boot from cd rom it keeps telling me that File does not seem executable. I need to get Solaris 8.0 on this system. I have boot all ready in single mode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
4 Replies

4. Solaris

cdrom will not eject

Hi I have placed a CD into the rom and now I can not eject it. when i type in eject cdrom i get the follwing error root@ssdb0009 # eject cdrom /vol/dev/rdsk/c0t6d0/dp_a0500_solaris_7_and_8_cd: Device busy Therefore i try and eject it with the -f option (eject -f cdrom) I still get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisca
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Floppy , CDrom

We use #eject cdrom to eject the cdrom . Is there a way to "close" it after using that command ? is there a command to eject floppy ? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitlermom
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mounting cdrom

Hey everyone, Quick question...I am trying to get packages off a cdrom for NETBSD. I tried mounting using this command mount /dev/rccd0a /etc/home/cdrom. But I just get an error. I did a dmesg |grep ^cd and it said that my cdrom was at cd0.? Am I doing something wrong.? Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaff4k
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting cdrom on DG/UX

Hi, I'm looking to mount a cd on an old AViiON system we have. No one here really has any expertise with this platform so any help will be appreciated. I * think* the device is sd(apsc(pci(1),B,0,7),5,0), however I'm not sure at all. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madesjardins
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot from cdrom

i am having a problem when trying to boot from cdrom. I received the below message system is not bootable, boot command is disabledfound how can i fix this. also what is the key combination on ordinary keyboard for STOP+A. Is it ctrl+break? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
2 Replies

9. Solaris

cdrom mounting

Hi, I want to know HOw can I know on which slice cdrom is mounted?by default on which slice generally it is mounting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Sun Blade 100 cdrom problems...

FYI noob to here and sun blades... I have a sun blade 100 and I can't get the cdrom to work. if i try using vold that doesn't seem to work either...maybe i'm not using it correctly. Upon boot you can open/close the cdrom and it runs but after i'm logged in it won't open and i can't access it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaun138
2 Replies
tels(7) 						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						   tels(7)

NAME
tels, telm - STREAMS Telnet slave (pseudo-terminal) driver, STREAMS Telnet master driver (used by telnetd only), respectively SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
A Telnet pseudo-terminal consists of a tightly-coupled pair of character devices, called the master device and slave device. The master and slave device drivers work together to provide a Telnet connection on the server side where the master provides a connection to and the slave provides a terminal device special file access for the Telnet application processes, as depicted below: -------------------------- | Pseudo terminal functions| Application <--> |--------------------------| <--> telnetd Processes | Slave | Master | | (tels) | (telm) | -------------------------- The slave driver, with (STREAMS pty emulation module) and (STREAMS line discipline module) pushed on top (not shown for simplicity), pro- vides a terminal interface as described in termio(7). Whereas devices that provide the terminal interface described in termio(7) have a hardware device behind them; in contrast, the slave device has manipulating it through the master side of the Telnet pseudo terminal. There are no nodes in the file system for each individual master device. Rather, the master driver is set up as a STREAMS clone(7) driver with its major device number set to the major for the clone driver and its minor device number set to the major for the driver. The master driver is opened by telnetd using the open(2) system call with as the device file parameter. The clone open finds the next available minor number for the master device. The master device is available only if it and its corresponding slave device are not already opened. In order to use the STREAMS Telnet subsystem, a node for the master driver and N number of Telnet slave devices must be installed. The number of slave devices is set by a kernel tunable parameter called This can be modified using SAM; its default and minimum value is 60. The value of is the upper limit of the number of telnet sessions that can be opened. Multiple opens are allowed on the Telnet slave device. The master and slave drivers pass all STREAMS messages to their adjacent drivers. When the connection is closed from the Telnet client side, an message is sent to the corresponding slave device which will render that slave device unusable. The process on the slave side gets the errno when attempting a write(2) system call to the slave device file but it will be able to read any data remaining in the slave stream. Finally, when all the data has been read, the read(2) system call will return 0, indicating that the slave can no longer be used. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. FILES
Streams Telnet master clone device Streams slave devices where N is the minor number of the slave device and 0 < N < SEE ALSO
insf(1M), open(2), ioctl(2), streamio(7), ldterm(7), telnetd(1M), ptem(7). tels(7)