Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 link aggregation with multiple VLANs - not working Post 303044832 by solaris_1977 on Wednesday 4th of March 2020 11:04:23 PM
Old 03-05-2020
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am expecting this setup, as the whole picture. Hope it makes sense.

One single interface (be it aggr or ipmp) with one IP will be presented to OVM (OV Manager) as host, as an IP with multiple VLAN tagged. After finishing the repository and other post-work, I should be create VM.
For example, I can get a request "create a Solaris-10 VM with 2 interfaces, one VLAN#2170 and one VLAN#2161". This interface will be visible on OVM Manager as bond0.

We have more than 20 VLANs, so don't want to configure 20 IPs for each VLAN. Ideally, all those VLANs should be tagged on this single interface. Any suggestion, how can I achieve it?
Please ask, if I am not able to explain it well.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Link Aggregation

Hi there I have a requirement to provide failover to our customer boxes in case of interface / switch failure, I have been looking at Solaris Link Aggregation with LACP and I wanted to ask a question Ive seen multiple websites that say the following Does this also mean that if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Link Aggregation and LACP

Hi there I have a requirement to provide failover to our customer boxes in case of interface / switch failure, I have been looking at Solaris Link Aggregation with LACP and I wanted to ask a question Ive seen multiple websites that say the following Does this also mean that if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

3. AIX

Link aggregation with hacmp ?

Hi, I need to setup a hacmp cluster (my first one, we usually use VCS on AIX), but I require more network bandwith than a normal gigabit etherchannel setup can provide, so I am thinking about using linkaggregation - 2 active adapters to one switch and a single backup adapter to another switch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Link aggregation

Me again :) I'm trying to find a page describing the L2, L3 und L4 modes of dladm. It's nice to read "hashed by ip header", but how should I use that? On the file-server it's ok to have the six interfaces serving six clients each on it's own. But an rsync connection via switch between two... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
8 Replies

5. IP Networking

Interface bonding / Link aggregation (Multiple)

Hello, I've been using mode 4 with four slaves, however looking at ifconfig showed that the traffic was not balanced correctly between the interfaces, the outgoing traffic has been alot higher on the last slave. Example: eth0 RX 123.2 GiB TX 22.5 GiB eth1 RX 84.8 GiB TX 8.3 GiB eth2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
3 Replies

6. Solaris

solaris link aggregation problem , once i reboot it is not showing, not able to ping the default gat

Hi All, I am trying to aggregate the NIC's,(igb2 and igb3) (igb0 is used by the physical system and igb1 is used by primary-vsw0) to create the domains on that for faster data transfer, I followed the process for creating the aggregation, dladm create-aggr -d igb2 -d igb3 1 after creating the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buildscm
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Link aggregation issues Solaris 10

I have setup link aggregation with 3 interfaces on my solaris 10 system. All looks good but my problem is that the traffic is only going out bge0 and not the other 2 links. bash-4.3# dladm show-aggr -s key:33 ipackets rbytes opackets obytes %ipkts %opkts ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: primeaup
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Link Aggregation

Hi ihave three link of internet and iwant to put one linux front of a firewall that this three linux speard firewall such az load balance and fialover but dont close any port and protocol and only firewall have been internet what way can i use for it ? are there any script and services do that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris link aggregation not working as expected

Hi, This is Solaris-10 x86 platform. I am not able to ping gateway associated with aggr50001. I am not getting idea, where could be issue. Please advise. # netstat -nr Routing Table: IPv4 Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface --------------------... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
10 Replies
VLAN(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   VLAN(4)

NAME
vlan -- IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN network device SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device vlan DESCRIPTION
The vlan interface provides support for IEEE 802.1Q Virtual Local Area Networks (VLAN). This supports the trunking of more than one network on a single network interface. This is particularly useful on routers or on hosts which must be connected to many different networks through a single physical interface. To use a vlan interface, the administrator must first create the interface and then specify the VID (VLAN identifier, the first 12 bits from a 16-bit integer which distinguishes each VLAN from any others) and physical interface associated with the VLAN. This can be done by using the ifconfig(8) create, vlan, and vlanif subcommands from a shell command line or script. From within a C program, use the ioctl(2) system call with the SIOCSIFCREATE and SIOCSIFVLAN arguments. To be compatible with other IEEE 802.1Q devices, the vlan interface supports a 1500 byte MTU, which means that the parent interface will have to handle packets that are 4 bytes larger than the original Ethernet standard. Drivers supporting this increased MTU are: - drivers using the DP8390 core (such as ec(4), ne(4), we(4), and possibly others) - bge(4) - bnx(4) - ea(4) - eb(4) - epic(4) - etherip(4) - ex(4) - fxp(4) - gem(4) - hme(4) - le(4) - sip(4) - ste(4) - stge(4) - ti(4) - tl(4) - tlp(4) - vge(4) - vr(4) - wm(4) - xi(4) vlan can be used with devices not supporting the IEEE 802.1Q MTU, but then the MTU of the vlan interface will be 4 bytes too small and will not interoperate properly with other IEEE 802.1Q devices, unless the MTU of the other hosts on the VLAN are also lowered to match. EXAMPLES
The following will create interface vlan0 with VID six, on the Ethernet interface tlp0: ifconfig vlan0 create ifconfig vlan0 vlan 6 vlanif tlp0 After this set up, IP addresses (and/or other protocols) can be assigned to the vlan0 interface. All other hosts on the Ethernet connected to tlp0 which configure a VLAN and use VID six will see all traffic transmitted through vlan0. The same VLAN can be created at system startup time by placing the following in /etc/ifconfig.vlan0: create vlan 6 vlanif tlp0 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The vlan device first appeared in NetBSD 1.5.1, and was derived from a VLAN implementation that appeared in FreeBSD and OpenBSD. BUGS
The vlan interfaces do not currently inherit changes made to the physical interfaces' MTU. BSD
December 16, 2010 BSD