Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to pass password as a variable for sshpass authentication? Post 303034197 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 21st of April 2019 10:49:49 AM
Old 04-21-2019
Have $var in quotes: "$password"
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Password Authentication

I would like to know how to validate an unix password from shell script (If is possible) Thanks very much ;) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juan_o_morillo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disallowing user/pass authentication in favor of a pure key system?

i finally got my key-pair system working... sort of a makeshift eToken system. however, i only want to allow this sytem for system access. i don't want to allow for the standard user/pass authentication system. right now i changed the following: # To disable tunneled clear text passwords,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX password authentication very slow

AIX password authentication very slow I installed and already removed openssh and our login on the aix box very slow. It takes 30 seconds to get the password authenticated. How can i debug this problem? and what might be the reason. It was working fine until i tried to get openssh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Enhanced Password Authentication

Hello; I am moving a customer from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 2.8. The customer has requested the following two requirements also be implemented: 1. Lock a user account out for X number of days after 3 unsuccessful login attempts. 2. No reuse of the last 5-10 passwords. Also referred to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rambo15
1 Replies

5. Solaris

bypass password authentication for sftp in unix

I am using solaris unix 8.2 version. I want to bypass password authentication for sftp. Can you please give some ideas on this. thanks.Regards. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijill
4 Replies

6. Solaris

can't bypass password authentication

I can able to SFTP from my web server unix to apps server unix end. but the other way from APPS server to Web server is still asking me the password. I have done same procedure both side. still i am having same problem. Any one help on this. thanks, regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijill
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password-less RSA Authentication not working

Hello Friends, I know this issue has been raised many times and hence I tried every resolution provided in the forum before I posted this issue again. My Password-less RSA authentication was working fine for quite some time. Whenever the remote server password used to change I used to re-do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to login password less authentication

Hi, I am facing strange problem in solaris 10. My requirement is that on server A using user test, any user which is created on Server B will be able to login wihtout password (ssh) from Server A All the users which are on Server B are able able to login from Server A using test user. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
8 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH Keys Authentication keeps asking for password

Hi! Im trying to set access from ServerA(SunOS) to ServerB(Some custom Linux with Keyboard Interactive login) with SSH Keys. As a proof of concept I was able to do it between 2 virtual machines. Now in my real life scenario it isnt working. I created the keys in ServerA, copied them to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
7 Replies
VIPW(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   VIPW(8)

NAME
vipw - edit the password file SYNOPSIS
vipw DESCRIPTION
Vipw edits the password file while setting the appropriate locks, and does any necessary processing after the password file is unlocked. If the password file is already being edited, then you will be told to try again later. The vi editor will be used unless the environment variable EDITOR indicates an alternate editor. Vipw performs a number of consistency checks on the password entries, and will not allow a password file with a ``mangled'' entry to be installed. If vipw rejects the new password file, the user is prompted to re-enter the edit session. Once the information has been verified, vipw uses mkpasswd(8) to update the user database. This is run in the background, and, at very large sites could take several minutes. Until this update is completed, the password file is unavailable for other updates and the new information will not be available to programs. SEE ALSO
chpass(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), adduser(8), mkpasswd(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution March 11, 1989 VIPW(8)