Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Debian, string in string.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Debian, string in string. Post 303027303 by apmcd47 on Thursday 13th of December 2018 06:03:17 AM
Old 12-13-2018
Using an interim variable:
Code:
ngroups=${groups#* }                                         # remove the prefix
[[ ,${ngroups// /}, == *,dialout,* ]] && echo yes || echo no # remove all other spaces; add , to beginning & end

You can use if instead of the && ... || construct I used above. Or you can put it in MadeInGermany's case statement:
Code:
case ,${ngroups// /}, in (*,dialout,*) echo "true";; esac

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string in a file and retrieve 10 lines including string line

Hi Guys, I am trying to write a perl script to search a string "Name" in the file "FILE" and also want to create a new file and push the searched string Name line along with 10 lines following the same. can anyone of you please let me know how to go about it ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert String every n lines, resetting line counter at desired string

I need to read a text file and insert a string every n lines, but also have the line counter restart when I come across a header string. Line repeating working every 3 lines using code: sed '0~3 s/$/\nINSERT/g' < INPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt > OUTPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt I cannot seem to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skonectthedots
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies
GETGROUPLIST(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   GETGROUPLIST(3)

NAME
getgrouplist - get list of groups to which a user belongs SYNOPSIS
#include <grp.h> int getgrouplist(const char *user, gid_t group, gid_t *groups, int *ngroups); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getgrouplist(): Since glibc 2.19: _DEFAULT_SOURCE Glibc 2.19 and earlier: _BSD_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The getgrouplist() function scans the group database (see group(5)) to obtain the list of groups that user belongs to. Up to *ngroups of these groups are returned in the array groups. If it was not among the groups defined for user in the group database, then group is included in the list of groups returned by getgrou- plist(); typically this argument is specified as the group ID from the password record for user. The ngroups argument is a value-result argument: on return it always contains the number of groups found for user, including group; this value may be greater than the number of groups stored in groups. RETURN VALUE
If the number of groups of which user is a member is less than or equal to *ngroups, then the value *ngroups is returned. If the user is a member of more than *ngroups groups, then getgrouplist() returns -1. In this case, the value returned in *ngroups can be used to resize the buffer passed to a further call getgrouplist(). VERSIONS
This function is present since glibc 2.2.4. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +---------------+---------------+----------------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +---------------+---------------+----------------+ |getgrouplist() | Thread safety | MT-Safe locale | +---------------+---------------+----------------+ CONFORMING TO
This function is nonstandard; it appears on most BSDs. BUGS
In glibc versions before 2.3.3, the implementation of this function contains a buffer-overrun bug: it returns the complete list of groups for user in the array groups, even when the number of groups exceeds *ngroups. EXAMPLE
The program below displays the group list for the user named in its first command-line argument. The second command-line argument speci- fies the ngroups value to be supplied to getgrouplist(). The following shell session shows examples of the use of this program: $ ./a.out cecilia 0 getgrouplist() returned -1; ngroups = 3 $ ./a.out cecilia 3 ngroups = 3 16 (dialout) 33 (video) 100 (users) Program source #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <grp.h> #include <pwd.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int j, ngroups; gid_t *groups; struct passwd *pw; struct group *gr; if (argc != 3) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <user> <ngroups> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } ngroups = atoi(argv[2]); groups = malloc(ngroups * sizeof (gid_t)); if (groups == NULL) { perror("malloc"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } /* Fetch passwd structure (contains first group ID for user) */ pw = getpwnam(argv[1]); if (pw == NULL) { perror("getpwnam"); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } /* Retrieve group list */ if (getgrouplist(argv[1], pw->pw_gid, groups, &ngroups) == -1) { fprintf(stderr, "getgrouplist() returned -1; ngroups = %d ", ngroups); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } /* Display list of retrieved groups, along with group names */ fprintf(stderr, "ngroups = %d ", ngroups); for (j = 0; j < ngroups; j++) { printf("%d", groups[j]); gr = getgrgid(groups[j]); if (gr != NULL) printf(" (%s)", gr->gr_name); printf(" "); } exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
getgroups(2), setgroups(2), getgrent(3), group_member(3), group(5), passwd(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 GETGROUPLIST(3)