Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Expect for the first time Post 303025423 by dakelly on Friday 2nd of November 2018 07:54:21 AM
Old 11-02-2018
Using Expect for the first time

Hi All,

Using Linux server 18.04

Trying to understand EXPECT, so I created a script to add in new users.

The code below works without expect, and I can manually change the passwords for the new users.
However, if I use EXPECT (which is installed) to set passwords it creates the users but no passwords.

Both scripts are executable.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# TP = a file with 3 usernames testa, testb & testc
# EXPECT is the expect script
TP=/home/user/test.txt
EXPECT=/home/user/exp.sh
ID=9050

while read PERSON
do
    useradd -m -d /home/$PERSON -g 1005 -u $ID -c "Test User" -s /bin/bash $PERSON
    $EXPECT
    passwd -f $PERSON
    ID=$((ID + 1))
done < "$TP"

Expect Script
Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
#
# this expect script is used to set new users passwords
# the password will be forced to expire immediately after 
#
set timeout -1
spawn $env(SHELL)
expect -exact "Enter new UNIX password: "
send -- "letmein\r"
expect -exact "Retype new UNIX password: "
send -- "letmein\r"
expect eof

Output
Code:
# ./test_users.sh
": no such file or directory
passwd: password expiry information changed.

I take it this is something to do with expect, maybe I have not understood it correctly, maybe I am picking the wrong spawn... I am not sure, as I have never used it before, but what I have read seems I have most of it correct.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long time since I used "expect"

Hello all, It's been a few years since I touched 'expect' and just got it on my system. In the past, I could simply do the following: (this is just a simple example) $ expect $ ls -l $ pwd $ exit ...then a default script name would be placed in my working directory. At this point I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptosaurus
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect and auto expect command

I need to run a remote application(GUI) in a client.i.e on running a script in the client machine i should get the GUI application which is running in the server by providing password through the script.Will expect or autoexpect command suit for this scenario? could anyone help me by posting some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_v
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange expect script behavior, or am i misunderstanding expect scripting?

Hello to all...this is my first post (so please go easy). :) I feel pretty solid at expect scripting, but I'm running into an issue that I'm not able to wrap my head around. I wrote a script that is a little advanced for logging into a remote Linux machine and changing text in a file using sed.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: v1k0d3n
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Expect script for Cisco IPS Sensors, Expect sleep and quoting

This Expect script provides expect with a list of IP addresses to Cisco IPS sensors and commands to configure Cisco IPS sensors. The user, password, IP addresses, prompt regex, etc. have been anonymized. In general this script will log into the sensors and send commands successfully but there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genewolfe
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect - Comparison of expect value and loop selection

Hello All, I am trying to automate an installation process using expect and sh script. My problem is that during the installation process the expected value can change according to the situation. For Example if this is a first time installation then at step 3 I'll get "Do you want to accept... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokrm
0 Replies

6. Programming

Calling expect script inside another expect

Hi, Am very new to expect scripting.. Can You please suggest me how to call an expect script inside another expect script.. I tried with spawn /usr/bin/ksh send "expect main.exp\r" expect $root_prompt and spawn /usr/bin/ksh send "main.exp\r" expect $root_prompt Both... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script to suspend expecting for a time period.

I have a simple Expect script to power a system on and off in an endless loop looking for an ERROR message at which point the script should exit. But I need to skip the first 60 seconds after each power on or off and not exit if there are ERROR messages during that time. I thought I could use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: David_Gilhooly
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script idles for a long time

the following code works sometimes. other times, it behaves mysteriously. when the script sshs to a box, it is suppose to automatically begin running the command it is told to run. but in this case, after this script logs into a host, it just sits there at the prompt and does not run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Programming

Expect script returning string following a found expect.

I'm fairly new to scripting so this might not be possible. I am using Expect with Cisco switches and need to capture the string after finding the expect request. For example, when I issue "show version" on a Nexus switch, I'm looking to capture the current firmware version: #show version ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: IBGaryA
0 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1 Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.11 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)