Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: printing column using for loop Post 303011348 by RudiC on Wednesday 17th of January 2018 03:59:44 AM
Old 01-17-2018
Please become accustomed to provide decent context info of your problem.

It is always helpful to carefully and detailedly phrase a request, and to support it with system info like OS and shell, related environment (variables, options), preferred tools, adequate (representative) sample input and desired output data and the logics connecting the two including your own attempts at a solution, and, if existent, system (error) messages verbatim, to avoid ambiguities and keep people from guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genome
. . .
How did you come to this:?

Code:
awk '{$1 = 3}1' file

By trying to understand your sparse specification and taking your sample input serious. The result seemed to comply to what you posted as desired output (although that was not derived from your input).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Silly question on printing for loop in AWK

Hi, One silly question. I would like to add statement like below and append to a file. I used the below code; however, it does not work. Can anyone please tell me what mistakes I have made? awk ' { for (i=1;i<=563;i++) print i }'>>output.txt Thanks. -Jason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing with awk through while loop

ive input file contains to clums a and b spreated by pipe a | b 123|456 323|455 and xyz contains other info about a and b now i want to print as follows: a | b | "info from xyz" but "info from xyz" might be more than 1 line and i want to keep the format to 3 cloums. how to do it?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: windows
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk not printing the last combined column

nawk -F "|" 'FNR==NR {a=$2 OFS $3 OFS $4 OFS $5 OFS $6;next}\ {if ($5 in a)print $1,"test",$5,a, $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2-$3-$4 ; \ else print $1,"Database",$5 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2-$3-$4 }' OFS="|" \ file1 file2 > file3 This... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing 1st column to lower case using awk

I want to print the 1st field in a comma seperated file to lower case and the rest the case they are. I tried this nawk -F"," '{print tolower($0)}' OFS="," file this converts whole line in to lower case i just want the first column to be converted. The below doesnt work because in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop in awk - column max for each column

Hello all, this should really be easy for you... I need AWK to print column maxima for each column of such input: Input: 1 2 3 1 2 1 1 3 2 1 1 2 Output should be: 2 2 3 3 This does the sum, but i need max instead: { for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) sum +=$i } END {for(i=1; i in sum;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irrevocabile
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk while-loop printing extra character

Hi, I'm using a while-loop in an awk script. If it matches a regular expression, it prints a line. Unfortunately, each line that is printed in this loop is followed by an extra character, "1". While-statement extracted from my script: getline temp; while (temp ~ /.* x .*/) print temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbluefish
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a variable column using awk

Hi everyone, Ok here's the scenario. I have a control file like this. component1,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5 component2,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5I want to do a while loop here to read all files for each component. file_count=2 while ] do file_name=`cat list.txt | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing another column using awk and input data

Hi, I have data of the following type, chr1 234 678 39 852 638 abcd 7895 chr1 526 326 33 887 965 kilj 5849 Now, I would like to have something like this chr1 234 678 39 852 638 abcd 7895 <a href="http://unix.com/thread=chr1:234-678">Link</a> chr1 526 326 33 887 965 kilj 5849 <a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: printing newline with last column

I was trying to simplify this from what I'm actually doing, but I started getting even more confused so I gave up. Here is the content of my input file: Academic year,Term,Course name,Period,Last name,Nickname 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,7th Period,Davis,Lucille When I do this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column printing in awk

Experts, i have a following file containing data in following manner. 1 2480434.4 885618.6 0.00 1948.00 40.00 1952.00 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.saini333
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)