Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Information on heredoc
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Information on heredoc Post 303010800 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 7th of January 2018 01:23:02 PM
Old 01-07-2018
Shell Command Language
This indicates that it writes to stdin by default.
Nested here documents example:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
$cat <<eofa; cat <<eofb
$>>test1
$>>test2
test1 
test2

$<<eofa; cat <<eofb
$>>test1
$>>test2

test2

In the second block the first instance does not have stdin defined as an output device, and so nothing is there to output or process the data "test1".

I think Don Cragun probably knows more.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information

I'm new to unix and wanted to know if there are UNIX tools/programs on the market that can be loaded onto my laptop or external hard drive that I can use to practice and test what I'm learning. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xman0ne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEREDOC with fdisk

Hi folks What I'm trying is to build a partitioning script. I can pass a HEREDOC to fdisk just fine. Like this: fdisk /dev/sda << EOF p q EOF but I don't know how to put that HEREDOC into a varible to pass it to fdisk. This is what I have tried so far (no luck) #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: latenite
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in SFTP using heredoc

Hi, I'm having heredoc to get files from ftp server. #!/bin/bash /export/opt/SCssh/3.7.1_C0/bin/sftp csi@192.168.1.100 <<GET_FILES lcd /WEBSERVER_LINK/data_logs/ ls -l pub/csidata/GeneralAppFields_8_1_Feed.out pub/csidata/CtcCatalog_7_3_3_Feed.out get... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bheeshmaraja
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

heredoc error check

Hi, Is there any way to check the error in heredoc? Code: /export/opt/SCssh/3.7.1_C0/bin/sftp -B - csi@192.168.1.100 <<FTP lcd /WEBSERVER_LINK/data_logs/ ls pub/csidata/GeneralAppFields_8_1_Feed.out get pub/csidata/GeneralAppFields_8_1_Feed.out quit FTP Now I want to check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bheeshmaraja
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in heredoc

I currently use this message to send e-mails in a script but I would also like to save the output of this code to a file as well while preserving the variables. What's the easiest way to accomplish this? #Sending mail notification when=`/bin/date` /usr/sbin/sendmail -t >2 <<-EOM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling sqlplus from Korn shell heredoc issue

Hi, I am facing an issue wherein some temporary files (here docs) are getting created in /tmp and are not getting deleted automatically. When i check the list of open files with below command i can see one file is getting appended continuously.(In this case /tmp/sfe7h.34p) The output is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navin_Ramdhami
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo multi-line string via heredoc syntax

$ cat bashtest #!/usr/local/bin/bash echo <<<"EOF" line1 line2 line3 EOF $ ./bashtest ./bashtest: line 3: line1: command not found ./bashtest: line 4: line2: command not found ./bashtest: line 5: line3: command not found ./bashtest: line 6: EOF: command not found What am i doing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Concatenate Two Commands in script using heredoc?

Hello, I am trying to place two commands in heredoc below is the snippet if ;then actionOnTux="$actVerb" else actionOnTux="$actVerb" fi echo "Performing ACTION: $action on $tux@$srv .....\n" if ; then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kataria.anand
5 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Not enough information...

I appreciate the fact that rules are for everyone and I screwed up by not putting a screen printout in code brackets... However, I was a bit dismayed when I received the following and tried to reply to say "Thank you" for sending me the reminder. I could not reply and had no idea what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
4 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)