Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Information on heredoc
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Information on heredoc Post 303010800 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 7th of January 2018 01:23:02 PM
Old 01-07-2018
Shell Command Language
This indicates that it writes to stdin by default.
Nested here documents example:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
$cat <<eofa; cat <<eofb
$>>test1
$>>test2
test1 
test2

$<<eofa; cat <<eofb
$>>test1
$>>test2

test2

In the second block the first instance does not have stdin defined as an output device, and so nothing is there to output or process the data "test1".

I think Don Cragun probably knows more.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information

I'm new to unix and wanted to know if there are UNIX tools/programs on the market that can be loaded onto my laptop or external hard drive that I can use to practice and test what I'm learning. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xman0ne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEREDOC with fdisk

Hi folks What I'm trying is to build a partitioning script. I can pass a HEREDOC to fdisk just fine. Like this: fdisk /dev/sda << EOF p q EOF but I don't know how to put that HEREDOC into a varible to pass it to fdisk. This is what I have tried so far (no luck) #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: latenite
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in SFTP using heredoc

Hi, I'm having heredoc to get files from ftp server. #!/bin/bash /export/opt/SCssh/3.7.1_C0/bin/sftp csi@192.168.1.100 <<GET_FILES lcd /WEBSERVER_LINK/data_logs/ ls -l pub/csidata/GeneralAppFields_8_1_Feed.out pub/csidata/CtcCatalog_7_3_3_Feed.out get... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bheeshmaraja
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

heredoc error check

Hi, Is there any way to check the error in heredoc? Code: /export/opt/SCssh/3.7.1_C0/bin/sftp -B - csi@192.168.1.100 <<FTP lcd /WEBSERVER_LINK/data_logs/ ls pub/csidata/GeneralAppFields_8_1_Feed.out get pub/csidata/GeneralAppFields_8_1_Feed.out quit FTP Now I want to check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bheeshmaraja
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in heredoc

I currently use this message to send e-mails in a script but I would also like to save the output of this code to a file as well while preserving the variables. What's the easiest way to accomplish this? #Sending mail notification when=`/bin/date` /usr/sbin/sendmail -t >2 <<-EOM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling sqlplus from Korn shell heredoc issue

Hi, I am facing an issue wherein some temporary files (here docs) are getting created in /tmp and are not getting deleted automatically. When i check the list of open files with below command i can see one file is getting appended continuously.(In this case /tmp/sfe7h.34p) The output is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navin_Ramdhami
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo multi-line string via heredoc syntax

$ cat bashtest #!/usr/local/bin/bash echo <<<"EOF" line1 line2 line3 EOF $ ./bashtest ./bashtest: line 3: line1: command not found ./bashtest: line 4: line2: command not found ./bashtest: line 5: line3: command not found ./bashtest: line 6: EOF: command not found What am i doing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Concatenate Two Commands in script using heredoc?

Hello, I am trying to place two commands in heredoc below is the snippet if ;then actionOnTux="$actVerb" else actionOnTux="$actVerb" fi echo "Performing ACTION: $action on $tux@$srv .....\n" if ; then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kataria.anand
5 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Not enough information...

I appreciate the fact that rules are for everyone and I screwed up by not putting a screen printout in code brackets... However, I was a bit dismayed when I received the following and tried to reply to say "Thank you" for sending me the reminder. I could not reply and had no idea what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
4 Replies
WDMD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   WDMD(8)

NAME
wdmd - watchdog multiplexing daemon SYNOPSIS
wdmd [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
This daemon opens /dev/watchdog and allows multiple independent sources to detmermine whether each KEEPALIVE is done. Every test interval (10 seconds), the daemon tests each source. If any test fails, the KEEPALIVE is not done. In a standard configuration, the watchdog timer will reset the system if no KEEPALIVE is done for 60 seconds ("fire timeout"). This means that if single test fails 5-6 times in row, the watchdog will fire and reset the system. With multiple test sources, fewer separate failures back to back can also cause a reset, e.g. T seconds, P pass, F fail T00: test1 P, test2 P, test3 P: KEEPALIVE done T10: test1 F, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T20: test1 F, test2 P, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T30: test1 P, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T40: test1 P, test2 P, test3 F: KEEPALIVE skipped T50: test1 F, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T60: test1 P, test2 F, test3 P: KEEPALIVE skipped T60: watchdog fires, system resets (Depending on timings, the system may be reset sometime shortly before T60, and the tests at T60 would not be run.) A crucial aspect to the design and function of wdmd is that if any single source does not pass tests for the fire timeout, the watchdog is guaranteed to fire, regardless of whether other sources on the system have passed or failed. A spurious reset due to the combined effects of multiple failing tests as shown above, is an accepted side effect. wdmd will exit if a watchdog driver is not loaded. wdmd cannot be used on the system with any other program that needs to open /dev/watchdog, e.g. watchdog(8). Test Source: clients Using libwdmd, programs connect to wdmd via a unix socket, and send regular messages to wdmd to update an expiry time for their connection. Every test interval, wdmd will check if the expiry time for a connection has been reached. If so, the test for that client fails. (Other test sources such as scripts executed each test interval may be added in the future.) OPTIONS
-D Enable debugging to stderr and don't fork. -H num Enable (1) or disable (0) high priority features such as realtime scheduling priority and mlockall. Default 1. 2011-08-01 WDMD(8)