Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux rename with regular expression Post 303006767 by drl on Tuesday 7th of November 2017 01:09:03 PM
Old 11-07-2017
Hi, bobbygsk .

It's always useful to tell us your OS and shell. As Aia pointed out, there are differences in command rename depending on the distribution.

If you still need advice, perhaps one of these possibilities may be useful:
Code:
Rename multiple files, groups of files

1) rename -- Debian version and RedHat version differ, q.v.
           (try package util-linux:
           http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Util-linux)

2) ren -- RedHat relatives

3) renameutils -- package contains qmv, imv, icp, qcp, and deurlname

4) mved -- (circa 2006; good as of 2017.11), perl
           http://raf.org/mved/
           (An earlier shell version may be available.)

5) rename -- perl builtin library routine (DIY)

6) mmv -- move/rename/copy/append/link multiple files by wildcard patterns

7) gprename - batch rename using a GUI (Gnome)

8) krename - batch rename using a GUI (KDE)

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression Help

Hi there, I have a line in a coded text from which the formtat is DEF/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA where A equals a letter but the fields after the DEF/ are optional. Which means the line could look like DEF/AAA or DEF/AAA/AAA etc etc I am trying to a find regular... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression help

Hi, I have a small script which uses egrep and a set of regexes to validate an IP address, however, i want to make it so that if somebody puts a leading space in front of the IP address to be validated it will fail, so this is my script #!/bin/bash #function ip_checker() { result=$( echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression.

can someone let me know what this means in english. \(abcd\) \ is an escape key right? Thanks Also im getting confused with something like it does this mean any single character? and this would be 2 characters ? Just let me know if im on the right track. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: syco__
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

I have a flat tab delimited file of the following format 1 A:23 A:45 A:789 2 A:2 A:47 3 A:78 A:345 A:9 A:10 4 A:34 A:98 I want to modify the file to the following format with insertions of "//" in between 1 A:23 // A:45 // A:789 2 A:2 // A:47 3 A:78 // A:345 // A:9 // A:10 4 A:34... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in regular expression

<ATTR name="ABCDEFGH" value=""/> <ATTR name="HJYR" value=""/> what would be the regular expression to match both the above strings... Always end with value=""/> always start with <ATTR name=" the ATTR name can be anything.. I need to use this with match() in awk. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
1 Replies

9. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies
gvfs-rename(1)							   User Commands						    gvfs-rename(1)

NAME
gvfs-rename - change the name of a file or directory using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-rename source-URI new-name DESCRIPTION
gvfs-rename changes the name of a file or directory, using the virtual file system. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: source-URI Specifies the source file location in standard URI format. new-name Specifies the new name for file or directory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Rename a Local HTML File example% gvfs-rename file:///home/user/index.html file:///home/user/index.html.old ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-rename Executable to rename a file using the GVFS library ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-cat(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 30 May 2008 gvfs-rename(1)