Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Manipulate files with find and fuser not working as expected on SunOs Post 303006527 by dampio on Friday 3rd of November 2017 06:46:31 AM
Old 11-03-2017
Manipulate files with find and fuser not working as expected on SunOs

Greetings,

For housekeeping, I use the following command:

Code:
find /some/path -type f -name "*log*" ! -exec fuser -s "{}" 2>/dev/null \; -exec ls -lh {} \;

It finds all log files not currently in use by a process and manipulates them.

This command always works on linux and redhat machines, however, when used on SunOs, it works for some files and for some not.

For example, logs which are not currently used by some processes get printed, From 3 logs which are being used, only one gets printed. So I cannot use gzip or rm with the find command. And I do not understand why it working partially?

Can you help me by suggesting workarounds for the command or via some alternative way?
Thanks in advance.
This User Gave Thanks to dampio For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not working as expected with BIG files ...

I am facing some strange problem. I know, there is only one record in a file 'test.txt' which starts with 'X' I ensure that with following command, awk /^X/ test.txt | wc -l This gives me output = '1'. Now I take out this record out of the file, as follows : awk /^X/ test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command not working as expected

I have a script with a find command using xargs to copy the files found to another directory. The find command is finding the appropriate file, but it's not copying. I've checked permissions, and those are all O.K., so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpflug
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find cmd not working as expected

Hi, i wan to search the file starting with Admin into the directory Output. I am running below command: find /appl/Output -name "Admin*" -prune but this command is going into the sub directories present under output. I do not want to search under sub directories. Any help will be highly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal123
6 Replies

4. Solaris

tr -d is not working on SunOS 5.9

i am using sunos 5.9. entityname="india\/delhi" correctpattern="<branch value=\"/`echo $entityname | tr -d '\'`/WORKAREA/\"> echo $correctpattern the output should be <branch value="/india/delhi/WORKAREA/"> This is working fine in command line but not working when i placed these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files modified in last hour sunOS 5.10

trying to find a way to locate files modified in the last hour in a shell script, unfortunately the command 'find . -mmin -60' is not supported on SunOS 5.10 (works on OpenSolaris 5.11 :mad:) Does anyone know a method of doing this in shell script on 5.10? cheers (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

6. Solaris

SunOs 5.9: why is 'ulimit -c' not working?

I have a situation where the system is dumping a 2g causing filesystem to fill up. We identified the source and working on a solution. However, I wanted to limit the size of the 'core' file. Please examine the test scenario ... cnewtonne@mars> ulimit -f 0 cnewtonne@mars> ls -ltr core*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnewtonne
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename not working as expected from find -exec

I have the following files in a directory > ls -1 /tmp/test/dir/ file with spaces 1.ogg file with spaces 2.oggI am running the following to echo the filenames but alter the file extension on the files to .mp3 instead of .ogg ( I am going to run ffmpeg against the files ultimately, but keeping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx not working on SunOS 5.9

I m trying to send o/p of one file using mailx command but is not working PFB command : cat healthchecklog | mailx -s "HEALTH CHECKS" abc@jkl.com also I have checked the ps -ef for mailx which is giveing below o/p ps -ef | grep mail root 364 1 0 Jun 08 ? ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some help with a find/fuser/gzip crontab job

Hello, I am trying to write a housekeeping that finds all .trc files older than x days in a given FS, checks if they are used and gzips them if they are not used by any process. I need to do it without calling any additional .sh script. I managed to make it work for Linux only: find .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Valkov
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fuser alternative OR running fuser on a script

Hi, Not sure whether there is a fuser alternative or any better way to check for file in use or not. I am wanting to check whether files are in use or not before removing them. Using fuser, the awk seems to be giving me 'weird' output not to mention that it is giving me 2 lines instead of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
0 Replies
TMPWATCH(8)						   System Administrator's Manual					       TMPWATCH(8)

NAME
tmpwatch - removes files which haven't been accessed for a period of time SYNOPSIS
tmpwatch [-u|-m|-c] [-faqstv] [--verbose] [--force] [--all] [--test] [--fuser ] [--atime|--mtime|--ctime] [--quiet] <hours> <dirs> DESCRIPTION
tmpwatch recursively removes files which haven't been accessed for a given number of hours. Normally, it's used to clean up directories which are used for temporary holding space such as /tmp. When changing directories, tmpwatch is very sensitive to possible race conditions and will exit with an error if one is detected. It does not follow symbolic links in the directories it's cleaning (even if a symbolic link is given as its argument), will not switch filesystems, and only removes empty directories and regular files. By default, tmpwatch dates files by their atime (access time), not their mtime (modification time). If files aren't being removed when ls -l implies they should be, use ls -u to examine their atime to see if that explains the problem. If the --atime, --ctime or --mtime options are used in combination, the decision about deleting a file will be based on the maximum of this times. The hours parameter defines the threshold for removing files. If the file has not been accessed for hours hours, the file is removed. Fol- lowing this, one or more directories may be given for tmpwatch to clean up. OPTIONS
-u, --atime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's atime (access time). This is the default. -m, --mtime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's mtime (modification time) instead of the atime. -c, --ctime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's ctime (inode change time) instead of the atime; for directories, make the decision based on the mtime. -a, --all Remove all file types, not just regular files and directories. -d, --nodirs Do not attempt to remove directories, even if they are empty. -f, --force Remove files even if root doesn't have write access (akin to rm -f). -t, --test Doesn't remove files, but goes through the motions of removing them. This implies -v. -s, --fuser Attempt to use the "fuser" command to see if a file is already open before removing it. Not enabled by default. Does help in some circumstances, but not all. Dependent on fuser being installed in /sbin. -v, --verbose Print a verbose display. Two levels of verboseness are available -- use this option twice to get the most verbose output. SEE ALSO
cron(1), ls(1), rm(1), fuser(1) WARNINGS
GNU-style long options are not supported on HP-UX. AUTHORS
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Wed Nov 28 2001 TMPWATCH(8)