Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Can I use mkdvd to create bootable DVD from mksysb on tape Post 303005852 by RudiC on Tuesday 24th of October 2017 05:20:19 AM
Old 10-24-2017
Are you sure the tape will deliver the required data rate?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to create a bootable tape

Good morning, I have no unix training. My daily backup failed with the following error. ' Cannot create /tmp/tape.bootimage because it already exists. I am using smit to run a rootvg and SAPvg backup. What should I do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ubyankees
1 Replies

2. AIX

How do I create a bootable mksysb image file

I have several systems which require software maintenance several times a year. After the software maintenance, it is required that we make two system tapes for DR purposes. The creation of these system tapes takes anywhere from 1-1.5 hours because of the performance of the tape drives. What I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: acascianelli
7 Replies

3. Linux

Creating a bootable dvd/cd disk

Hi all, thanks for so many helps in many problems! Can anyone guide, how to create a bootable cd/dvd from downloaded iso images of CentOS 5? I have collected all the iso in a dvd but it is not booting the system. Any response will be appreciable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
2 Replies

4. AIX

mkdvd mkcd mksysb from file fails

Hello Folks,Having some problems moving an old mksysb backup to a file image.data to DVD-RAM1) From mkdvd if i do a new backup it works fineBUT2) From mkdvd if I do fails:+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+| Use an existing mksysb image?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
8 Replies

5. AIX

check whether a mksysb image is bootable or not?

Hi, Can any one please tell me the method to check whether a mksysb image which is in the server is bootable or not. :confused: Thanks in advance, Anoop (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anoopraok
1 Replies

6. AIX

Mksysb mkdvd rootvg > 6gb

Hello, Just wondering if I don't have tape drive or NIM server then what are the possible ways to make mksysb ? My DVD-RAM has only 4GB capacity where as my rootvg is more than 6GB anythoughts ? POSTSCRIPT: SEE HERE FOR THE SOLUTION:... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. AIX

bootable mksysb image on

i have been given a bootable cd/dvd, that i install a ibm aix 185 workstation with, i want to make a nim mksysb resource from that, the following is a listing for the root file structure of the cd/dvd, seems someone took a mksysb of a built ibm aix machine and did mkcd -L -S -I and setup the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed123
2 Replies

8. AIX

Using mkdvd to create bootable mksysb on dvd reports success but nothing on dvd?

Hello, Running AIX 7.1 7100-00-03-1115, trying to make a mksysb image to a dvd drive using mkdvd. My final command looks like this.. mkdvd -e -V rootvg -R -C /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_fs -I /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_images -M /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/mksysbimage -d /dev/cd0 -Y When i run this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies

9. AIX

Mkdvd mksysb

hello How can I know which files did not get backuped Command: OK stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log... Verifying command parameters... Creating image.data... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
mkcd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  mkcd(1M)

NAME
mkcd - create bootable Solaris ISO image SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/mkcd -v [-l label] media-root iso DESCRIPTION
The mkcd utility takes media-root (the root of an on-disk Solaris install media) as input and creates a bootable Solaris ISO image in the file iso, using mkisofs(8). The file can then be burned onto a CD/DVD with utilities such as cdrw(1) or cdrecord(1). (Neither mkisofs(8) nor cdrecord(1) are SunOS man pages.) Caution - The directory tree media-root must contain the file boot/grub/stage2_eltorito, which will be written to the media boot sectors. This file will be modified with some boot information, thus it must be writable. If necessary, first save a copy prior to running this utility. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -l label Sets label as the label/volume name of the ISO image. -v Verbose. Multiple -v options increase verbosity. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: media-root Top-level directory of an on-disk Solaris install media. iso Name of the output file which will contain the resulting ISO image. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Creating an ISO Image and Burning a CD/DVD The following commands create an ISO image from the content of s10u1 and burn the image to a CD/DVD. # /usr/bin/mkcd s10u1 s10u1.iso # /usr/bin/cdrw -i s10u1.iso ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cdrw(1), attributes(5) mkisofs(8), (/usr/share/man/man8/mkisofs.8), in the SUNWfsman package (not a SunOS man page) SunOS 5.11 25 Jul 2008 mkcd(1M)