Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux router help needed
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Linux router help needed Post 302996177 by ygemici on Friday 21st of April 2017 02:45:18 AM
Old 04-21-2017
Hi , apoklyps3

Your linux is embedded ( for that Your "rootfs" ( "/") is in like RAM drive/disk ( as temp/pivot root ) -> then you cannot remount for r/w and this only r/w only at runtime ). )

( Your firmware in the flash ( mostly ) loaded to the RAM at the boot stages by bootloader ( like u-boot ).. )

Your "/dev/root" device is mounted to (/) point that is "read-only fs" with squashfs ( compressed ) that located in the flash ( or sometimes sdcard ? )
it should contains all binaries , startup files , default config files and the others....

* Your mount command is wrong as already @Corona688 said this.
* And you cannot re-mount the squahfs for r/w ( try with "/dev/root" lets see what happen or not )

Your device ( /dev/mtdblock5 is read/writable block device ( Flash or disk-on-chip ) with "rootfstype=jffs2" and
then you can read the some configs or other related files from it.
But also you can write via "/dev/mtd5" ( safe way ) char device to flash partiton which is writable side.
Shortly , mount command works via block device and must used via the char device for i/o operations..
Your ( /apps ) mount point is writable and has contains user apps/data/configs ( already i said above ) and these are permanent.
Look at the some details..
Managing flash storage with Linux

( the others are Kernel partitions from RAM or other memory chips ( ssd ? ) .. )

* You can look for the details of the flash partitions ( "cat /proc/mtd" )

Now i m not sure is there a easy way ? , ( because i have no knowlodge about the routers and firmware )
But i can say , you have to create the customized firmware and you must flash it to router for permanent solution.. ( if it has not nvram settings for non-squash filesystem support )
( or you must unsquashfs to extract the contents to writable partition then mksquashfs to create new image from thises and write it to the target mtd device ( like "writemtd.c" codes or image dump tools )

Another try , you maybe update the router firmware with ( open-source ) alternatives like dd-wrt , open-wrt .. ( if your product ( Kaon media ) vendor does not the new firmware..)

But best way as @Corona688 said , you must update the new firmware from original Kaon hardware vendor if there is..

Good lucks
regards
ygemici

Last edited by ygemici; 04-21-2017 at 03:58 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to ygemici For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Linux Router?

I am trying to set up a linux box as a router, but I am a little confused on how to do this. I am using Red Hat 9.0 on a machine that has 2 nic cards. Also, I am using a DSL pppoe connection. I have installed rp-pppoe and I am connected to the internet via the pseudo pppoe interface. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Help needed in IPTables firewall/router setup - Linux

HI all, I have setup IPTables firewall/Router and my home network, with address space 192.168.10.XXX Form my private network hosts, i can ping the gateway ( 192.168.10.101 ) , but the reverse is not happening. Can someone help me as of what i need to do, so that i can ping my private... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandan_m
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help needed- script failing if router unavailable

Hey all. Sometimes I'm tasked to change some router configs for the entire network (over 3,000 Cisco routers). Most of the time its a global config parameter so its done with a loop and an IP list as its the same configuration change for all routers. This is working OK. However, sometimes an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkz1974
3 Replies
FLASH(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  FLASH(9)

NAME
flash -- subsystem for flash-like memory devices SYNOPSIS
#include <dev/flash/flash.h> device_t flash_attach_mi(const struct flash_interface *fl, device_t dev); DESCRIPTION
Flash-like devices can register themselves to the flash layer with the flash_hw_if structure. This structure has function pointers and other fields. The attachment can be done by calling flash_attach_mi() with this structure and the device's device_t as an argument. Return value is the flash layer device. The flash_interface structure is shown below. struct flash_interface { int (*erase) (device_t, struct flash_erase_instruction *); int (*read) (device_t, off_t, size_t, size_t *, uint8_t *); int (*write) (device_t, off_t, size_t, size_t *, const uint8_t *); int (*block_markbad)(device_t, uint64_t); int (*block_isbad)(device_t, uint64_t); int (*sync) (device_t); int (*submit)(device_t, struct buf *); /* storage for partition info */ struct flash_partition partition; /* total size of mtd */ flash_addr_t size; uint32_t page_size; uint32_t erasesize; uint32_t writesize; uint32_t minor; uint8_t type; }; SEE ALSO
flash(4), nand(9) AUTHORS
Adam Hoka <ahoka@NetBSD.org> BSD
March 31, 2011 BSD