Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux router help needed
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Linux router help needed Post 302996177 by ygemici on Friday 21st of April 2017 02:45:18 AM
Old 04-21-2017
Hi , apoklyps3

Your linux is embedded ( for that Your "rootfs" ( "/") is in like RAM drive/disk ( as temp/pivot root ) -> then you cannot remount for r/w and this only r/w only at runtime ). )

( Your firmware in the flash ( mostly ) loaded to the RAM at the boot stages by bootloader ( like u-boot ).. )

Your "/dev/root" device is mounted to (/) point that is "read-only fs" with squashfs ( compressed ) that located in the flash ( or sometimes sdcard ? )
it should contains all binaries , startup files , default config files and the others....

* Your mount command is wrong as already @Corona688 said this.
* And you cannot re-mount the squahfs for r/w ( try with "/dev/root" lets see what happen or not )

Your device ( /dev/mtdblock5 is read/writable block device ( Flash or disk-on-chip ) with "rootfstype=jffs2" and
then you can read the some configs or other related files from it.
But also you can write via "/dev/mtd5" ( safe way ) char device to flash partiton which is writable side.
Shortly , mount command works via block device and must used via the char device for i/o operations..
Your ( /apps ) mount point is writable and has contains user apps/data/configs ( already i said above ) and these are permanent.
Look at the some details..
Managing flash storage with Linux

( the others are Kernel partitions from RAM or other memory chips ( ssd ? ) .. )

* You can look for the details of the flash partitions ( "cat /proc/mtd" )

Now i m not sure is there a easy way ? , ( because i have no knowlodge about the routers and firmware )
But i can say , you have to create the customized firmware and you must flash it to router for permanent solution.. ( if it has not nvram settings for non-squash filesystem support )
( or you must unsquashfs to extract the contents to writable partition then mksquashfs to create new image from thises and write it to the target mtd device ( like "writemtd.c" codes or image dump tools )

Another try , you maybe update the router firmware with ( open-source ) alternatives like dd-wrt , open-wrt .. ( if your product ( Kaon media ) vendor does not the new firmware..)

But best way as @Corona688 said , you must update the new firmware from original Kaon hardware vendor if there is..

Good lucks
regards
ygemici

Last edited by ygemici; 04-21-2017 at 03:58 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to ygemici For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Linux Router?

I am trying to set up a linux box as a router, but I am a little confused on how to do this. I am using Red Hat 9.0 on a machine that has 2 nic cards. Also, I am using a DSL pppoe connection. I have installed rp-pppoe and I am connected to the internet via the pseudo pppoe interface. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Help needed in IPTables firewall/router setup - Linux

HI all, I have setup IPTables firewall/Router and my home network, with address space 192.168.10.XXX Form my private network hosts, i can ping the gateway ( 192.168.10.101 ) , but the reverse is not happening. Can someone help me as of what i need to do, so that i can ping my private... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandan_m
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help needed- script failing if router unavailable

Hey all. Sometimes I'm tasked to change some router configs for the entire network (over 3,000 Cisco routers). Most of the time its a global config parameter so its done with a loop and an IP list as its the same configuration change for all routers. This is working OK. However, sometimes an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkz1974
3 Replies
FTL_FORMAT(1)						      General Commands Manual						     FTL_FORMAT(1)

NAME
ftl_format - Flash Translation Layer formatting utility SYNOPSIS
ftl_format [-q] [-i] [-s spare] [-r reserve] [-b bootsize] device DESCRIPTION
Ftl_format creates a Flash Translation Layer partition on a flash memory device. It needs to access the flash partition's raw character- mode device (such as /dev/mem0c0c). This is actually a low-level format operation, required before accessing a memory device via the FTL block device driver. Once a partition is prepared with ftl_format, a filesystem should be created in a separate step. Filesystem commands should access the device via the FTL device file (such as /dev/ftl0). Optionally, ftl_format can reserve a region at the beginning of the flash card address space for a boot image (or any other purpose). The boot area is not part of the FTL partition, and can only be accessed via the raw memory device. On Intel Series 100 flash cards, the first flash block is used to store the card's configuration information structures. If no boot area is specified on the command line, ftl_format will automatically create one to span the first block. OPTIONS
-q Quiet mode: don't print formatting statistics. -i Interactive: confirm before beginning the format. -s spare Reserve the specified number of erase blocks as spares. The default is 1. A read-write partition requires at least one spare block. -r reserve Reserve the specified percentage of the total space on the device to improve write efficiency. The default is 5%. Reserving less space increases the frequency of flash erase operations to reclaim free blocks. -b bootsize Requests that a portion of the flash card be reserved for a boot image. The size will be rounded up to an integral number of erase blocks. AUTHOR
David Hinds - dahinds@users.sourceforge.net SEE ALSO
ftl_cs(4), ftl_check(8). pcmcia-cs 2000/06/12 21:24:48 FTL_FORMAT(1)