Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Disable Inactive User in Solaris 11 Post 302977450 by Drasavokian on Monday 18th of July 2016 01:11:55 PM
Old 07-18-2016
Disable Inactive User in Solaris 11

Goal: To disable a Solaris user, after that user was inactive for X days.

My understanding for linux was that there was no systematic way to disable inactive users, therefore we had to set a password expiration via /etc/default/passwd, MaxWeeks; then in /etc/default/useradd (/etc/shadow), the Inactive parameter would identify how many days after password expiration, a user would be disabled.

When reading Oracle Solaris documentation on user inactivity, it seems that the Inactive parameter disables a Solaris user/ID based on the number of days the account was inactive.

Oracle Solaris 11 Documentation for UserAdd
"-f inactive
The maximum number of days allowed between uses of a login ID before that ID is declared invalid. Normal values are positive integers. A value of 0 defeats the status."

Question: In Solaris, what does the "inactive" parameter in /etc/default/useradd actually do; does it actually disable inactive users after the specified number of days, or does it disable an account a specified number of days after password expiration?

Very confusing, Smilie

Last edited by Drasavokian; 07-18-2016 at 03:29 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to disable cd to other folder for a user

How to disable user for cd to some another folders other than his folders. AIX 5L 5.2 Thanks Dilip. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dilippatel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Canīt logout to user inactive

I have SCO OpenServer release 5 I used TIMEOUT and TMOUT in .profile but I donīt Know if is correctly WND=/usr/synergy/dbl DTKMAPFIL=/u/ics/icsdat/icsmap.ics umask 000 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalox
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Temporarily Disable User Account

I want to temporarily disable a user account on HP-UX at the start of a script and renable the account at the end of the script. What would be the best method on HP-UX to temporarily disable a user account? I know of the passwd -l option that will lock the account, but I do not see a flag for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

4. AIX

How to disable user login infor?

If user login and don't do anything in 15 mins, the user is kicked off from the server. how to disable it? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modification in configuration file to disable a particular user

Please anyone can tell me what is the procedure to perform the required modifications in configuration files to disable a particular user??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: debjyotidas007
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Disable telnet for a particular user

On Solaris 8 is there anyway to disable telnet for a particular user and not for entire system altogether? I would like the user to retain a shell and so creating a noshell like ftp account is not an option. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: boshyd
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Inactive Solaris users

Hello, I want to do a search for users on my solaris boxes that have been inactive for a defined number of days and then delete them. Any ideas how to determine or calculate the number of days (possibly using the /var/adm/wtmpx file) from the user's last login to the current date of search. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince2010
0 Replies

8. AIX

How to list Inactive user account in AIX 5.3?

Hello, I have a situation, where I ask for to get a list of all inactive users (expire or locked in last 41 days). I looked into /etc/shadow (no such file in my server). I referred some old threads but not found useful information. I'm using AIX 5.3 .... I have total 1641 users in server. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Help with Solaris 10 - Patching Inactive Boot

Hi I have a Sun M4000 with 1 Global and 4 non-global zones running Solaris. the downtime to apply the latest Recommend Patch Cluster is about 8hrs. The client will not give me the downtime. I want to use PATCHING TO INACTIVE BOOT ENVIRONMENT method and need urgent assistance. I have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samruthroy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Disable multiple ssh logins for an OS user in Solaris

Hi folks, I am fairly a beginner when it comes to Solaris OS administration, but part of my job somehow has scope to provide L1-level of OS administration over a few solaris servers. Now, we have a requirement to limit the number of simultaneous ssh logins/sessions to the server, sort of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: engrcha
0 Replies
SHADOW(5)                                                  File Formats and Conversions                                                  SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - shadowed password file DESCRIPTION
shadow is a file which contains the password information for the system's accounts and optional aging information. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains 9 fields, separated by colons (":"), in the following order: login name It must be a valid account name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, the user will not be able to use a unix password to log in (but the user may log in the system by other means). This field may be empty, in which case no passwords are required to authenticate as the specified login name. However, some applications which read the /etc/shadow file may decide not to permit any access at all if the password field is empty. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. date of last password change The date of the last password change, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The value 0 has a special meaning, which is that the user should change her password the next time she will log in the system. An empty field means that password aging features are disabled. minimum password age The minimum password age is the number of days the user will have to wait before she will be allowed to change her password again. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no minimum password age. maximum password age The maximum password age is the number of days after which the user will have to change her password. After this number of days is elapsed, the password may still be valid. The user should be asked to change her password the next time she will log in. An empty field means that there are no maximum password age, no password warning period, and no password inactivity period (see below). If the maximum password age is lower than the minimum password age, the user cannot change her password. password warning period The number of days before a password is going to expire (see the maximum password age above) during which the user should be warned. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no password warning period. password inactivity period The number of days after a password has expired (see the maximum password age above) during which the password should still be accepted (and the user should update her password during the next login). After expiration of the password and this expiration period is elapsed, no login is possible using the current user's password. The user should contact her administrator. An empty field means that there are no enforcement of an inactivity period. account expiration date The date of expiration of the account, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. Note that an account expiration differs from a password expiration. In case of an account expiration, the user shall not be allowed to login. In case of a password expiration, the user is not allowed to login using her password. An empty field means that the account will never expire. The value 0 should not be used as it is interpreted as either an account with no expiration, or as an expiration on Jan 1, 1970. reserved field This field is reserved for future use. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/shadow- Backup file for /etc/shadow. Note that this file is used by the tools of the shadow toolsuite, but not by all user and password management tools. SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), pwck(8), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), su(1), sulogin(8). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 SHADOW(5)