Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Help with Solaris 8 10/00 Installation on Sun Fire V490 Server Post 302975321 by hicksd8 on Saturday 11th of June 2016 04:38:12 AM
Old 06-11-2016
My money has to be on that the Solaris 8 CD/DVD you have is too old for that hardware. If you have a compatible distribution it should just work.

I'm assuming that the DVD drive is working? Does it flash when you hit return on the boot command?

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 06-12-2016 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Deleted illegal content.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 upgrade on Sun Fire 3800

Hello there! I have Sun Fire 3800 with very old Solaris 9 and I need to perform upgrade to concurrent Solaris 10 version, preserving current OS configuration. I supose to make it using Live Upgrade, but according to Solaris Live Upgrade Software: Minimum Patch Requirements page, I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable Serials ports in Sun Fire v490

Hello people from Argentina i said you Hello. I am doing some works from an auditory. They want to disable login prompts on serial ports. Somebody knows how to do that? Thank your time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enkei17
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire V490 occasionally downs

I can't find why but I suppose it is because of some hardware failures... I have a Sun Fire V490 with Solaris 10 5/08 which runs Sun Cluster 3.2 and it downs occasionally with a circumstances I can't define... Also I note some strange behavior after server failures: when I ran any diagnostics from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun Fire V240 server Fan replacement

I have a sun fire v240 server. The output of prtdiag -v shows a failed fan. There are 3 fans for cooling system board. There is 1 fan for each of the powersupply (There are 2 powersupplies) From the below output how do i know which fan is bad and whats its location... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Need Help, I want to reset password for Sun Fire T2000 Server

============================== ALOM BOOTMON v1.3.1 ALOM Build Release: 001 Reset register: f0000000 EHRS ESRS LLRS SWRS ALOM POST 1.0 Dual Port Memory Test, PASSED. TTY External - Internal Loopback Test TTY External - Internal Loopback Test, PASSED. TTYC - Internal Loopback Test TTYC -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sameer Naik
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun-Fire-V490 Printer Issue After Upgrade of Solaris

Hey Guys I am new here, dont know if any one can assist me with this issue. I have a Sun-Fire-V490 machine that was upgraded to version 9 and patched a few months back. Problem is a few network printers managed by the server is printing an extra page that comes out before and after every print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprogams
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 1/13 & Sun Fire V490 Server

Hi Solaris/Unix Experts, I've installed Oracle Solaris 10 1/13 on a Sun Fire V490 Server via its external Serial Port using a Cisco Console Cable connected to my Laptop PC running SecureCRT terminal emulation software emulating VT100 Terminal. The Sun Fire V490 server has two on-board... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssabet
1 Replies
mkcd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  mkcd(1M)

NAME
mkcd - create bootable Solaris ISO image SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/mkcd -v [-l label] media-root iso DESCRIPTION
The mkcd utility takes media-root (the root of an on-disk Solaris install media) as input and creates a bootable Solaris ISO image in the file iso, using mkisofs(8). The file can then be burned onto a CD/DVD with utilities such as cdrw(1) or cdrecord(1). (Neither mkisofs(8) nor cdrecord(1) are SunOS man pages.) Caution - The directory tree media-root must contain the file boot/grub/stage2_eltorito, which will be written to the media boot sectors. This file will be modified with some boot information, thus it must be writable. If necessary, first save a copy prior to running this utility. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -l label Sets label as the label/volume name of the ISO image. -v Verbose. Multiple -v options increase verbosity. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: media-root Top-level directory of an on-disk Solaris install media. iso Name of the output file which will contain the resulting ISO image. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Creating an ISO Image and Burning a CD/DVD The following commands create an ISO image from the content of s10u1 and burn the image to a CD/DVD. # /usr/bin/mkcd s10u1 s10u1.iso # /usr/bin/cdrw -i s10u1.iso ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cdrw(1), attributes(5) mkisofs(8), (/usr/share/man/man8/mkisofs.8), in the SUNWfsman package (not a SunOS man page) SunOS 5.11 25 Jul 2008 mkcd(1M)