Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Comparing 2 UNIX directories
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing 2 UNIX directories Post 302969748 by fpmurphy on Sunday 27th of March 2016 01:32:34 PM
Old 03-27-2016
If GNU diff is available to you, you could use the --brief option to do what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing directories via ftp

Hello! I am trying to compare a list of files in 2 directories - one on our unix server (I'll call it 'ours') and one on a site we ftp to (I'll call it 'ftp'). I need to make sure that after we ftp, the names that we put out there match the names we have on our side. I was thinking to create a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tekster757
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing the content of two directories

Hello I want to compare the content of two directories recursively to check if the two directories have the same files. How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing directories on different unix servers

Is it possible to use the diff command to compare two directories on different Unix (AIX) servers? We have two regions set up and we want to be able to compare if the scripts directory in both regions contain the same files? I want to figure out if its possible.. Have been messing around by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
10 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

comparing 2 directories

i have been asked to write a bash shell script comparing two directories and sed or awk should not be used in this assignment. compdir will compare filenames in two directories, and list information about filenames that are in one directory but not the other. The information listed will be a long... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soccerball
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing the modified dates of files in two directories

Hi Is it possible to compare the modified dates of all the files in two directories using shell script? I would like to take a backup of a directory in production server regularly. Instead of copying all the files in the directory, is it possible to list only the files that are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Comparing directories and file from a text file

Hello all, I need to write a script which has following requirement: Need to read the filenames from text file and then search for the above read files in the required directory and if match found backup them in a backup folder. And also need to compare and verify whether the files in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

**URGENT ** : Comparing the pattern of the file names in 2 different directories

Hi, I have got a requirement for which i need your help. The following problem is required to get solved in PERL SCRIPT. Here is the requirement. There are 4 folders say SRC_DIR1, SRC_DIR2 and TGT_DIR_1,TGT_DIR_2 (Note: both path of SRC_DIR1 & SRC_DIR2 are different but both path of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadow_fawkes
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing the pattern of the file names in 2 different directories

Hi, I have got a requirement for which i need your help. The following problem is required to get solved in PERL SCRIPT. Here is the requirement. There are 4 folders say SRC_DIR1, SRC_DIR2 and TGT_DIR_1,TGT_DIR_2 (Note: both path of SRC_DIR1 & SRC_DIR2 are different but both path of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadow_fawkes
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing 2 UNIX files

Hi, I am planning to automate the comparison of data between few tables in 2 different databases ( Teradata and sql server). Below is the approach which I think of. Please suggest any improvements/Modification : 1) The sql server file is having more records and I have to eliminate the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul Raj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two directories with diff

Hi all, I have 2 directories on two different servers. I am trying to find out what is missing from directory X and what is missing from directory Y. they should both have the same exact files in them. I understand some files may be missing from both directories on each server. I am not sure... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file and directory comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -l ] [ -r ] [ -s ] [ -cefhn ] [ -biwt ] dir1 dir2 diff [ -cefhn ] [ -biwt ] file1 file2 diff [ -Dstring ] [ -biw ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
If both arguments are directories, diff sorts the contents of the directories by name, and then runs the regular file diff algorithm (described below) on text files which are different. Binary files which differ, common subdirectories, and files which appear in only one directory are listed. Options when comparing directories are: -l long output format; each text file diff is piped through pr(1) to paginate it, other differences are remembered and summarized after all text file differences are reported. -r causes application of diff recursively to common subdirectories encountered. -s causes diff to report files which are the same, which are otherwise not mentioned. -Sname starts a directory diff in the middle beginning with file name. When run on regular files, and when comparing text files which differ during directory comparison, diff tells what lines must be changed in the files to bring them into agreement. Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. If nei- ther file1 nor file2 is a directory, then either may be given as `-', in which case the standard input is used. If file1 is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 is used (and vice versa). There are several options for output format; the default output format contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. Except for -b, -w, -i or -t which may be given with any of the others, the following options are mutually exclusive: -e produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. In connection with -e, the fol- lowing shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Extra commands are added to the output when comparing directories with -e, so that the result is a sh(1) script for converting text files which are common to the two directories from their state in dir1 to their state in dir2. -f produces a script similar to that of -e, not useful with ed, and in the opposite order. -n produces a script similar to that of -e, but in the opposite order and with a count of changed lines on each insert or delete com- mand. This is the form used by rcsdiff(1). -c produces a diff with lines of context. The default is to present 3 lines of context and may be changed, e.g to 10, by -c10. With -c the output format is modified slightly: the output beginning with identification of the files involved and their creation dates and then each change is separated by a line with a dozen *'s. The lines removed from file1 are marked with `- '; those added to file2 are marked `+ '. Lines which are changed from one file to the other are marked in both files with with `! '. Changes which lie within <context> lines of each other are grouped together on output. (This is a change from the previous ``diff -c'' but the resulting output is usually much easier to interpret.) -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. -Dstring causes diff to create a merged version of file1 and file2 on the standard output, with C preprocessor controls included so that a compilation of the result without defining string is equivalent to compiling file1, while defining string will yield file2. -b causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored, and other strings of blanks to compare equal. -w is similar to -b but causes whitespace (blanks and tabs) to be totally ignored. E.g., ``if ( a == b )'' will compare equal to ``if(a==b)''. -i ignores the case of letters. E.g., ``A'' will compare equal to ``a''. -t will expand tabs in output lines. Normal or -c output adds character(s) to the front of each line which may screw up the indenta- tion of the original source lines and make the output listing difficult to interpret. This option will preserve the original source's indentation. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/libexec/diffh for -h /bin/diff for directory diffs /bin/pr SEE ALSO
cmp(1), cc(1), comm(1), ed(1), diff3(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. When comparing directories with the -b, -w or -i options specified, diff first compares the files ala cmp, and then decides to run the diff algorithm if they are not equal. This may cause a small amount of spurious output if the files then turn out to be identical because the only differences are insignificant blank string or case differences. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 21, 1996 DIFF(1)