Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Power5 9133-55A Serial Console connection issue Post 302966559 by Devyn on Saturday 13th of February 2016 12:54:22 PM
Old 02-13-2016
Power5 9133-55A Serial Console connection issue

Hey All,

Trying to connect to the Power5 9133-55A serial console using a serial-to-usb converter (RS232). The other end is connected via null modem. Tried minicom, putty and other Linux utilities, no luck. The serial device shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0.

Tried 9600 8N1 XON/XOFF, no luck. There is simply no output on the screen and no change after pressing enter multiple times.

The 9133-55A is currently hooked up to an HMC and works fine that way but not via serial.

Could someone who has done this via Linux nudge me along and let me know what settings you used? Going to retry with putty and windows as alot of the videos indicate and post if it was successful.

Cheers,
DH

---------- Post updated at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:41 PM ----------

Sorry for bad subject. Can a moderator please change it to "Power5 9133-55A Serial Console connection issue"?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Installing via serial console

I'm stuck - when I boot the machine and hit 5 on the keyboard, all I get is an SP login. Can someone give me some tips on how to get to the install via the serial port? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

serial console hangs

I have a HP Visualize C200 running hpux that I am trying to boot into using a null modem through com1 from my Sun Ultra 10. I get all the way to the login prompt and then it becomes innactive and wont let me access the machine anymore. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trajek
2 Replies

3. AIX

Turn off System attention light on POWER5 model p5 55A ?

Hi, Because of previous error System attention light(yellow exclamation mark) is on. How do I turn it off ? thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced. Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joecassara
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Console Vs Serial console.

Hi Gurus, Can some one explain me the difference between a IP console and a serial console. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

6. Solaris

V890 serial console inaccessible

I am battling to get a V890 up and running. The system appears to have AUTOBOOT=false, so no OS comes up when it's powered on, and I do not have the credentials to get to the RSC management console. Output to ttya serial console ends at "Probing I/O buses", I assume because output is then being... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstmark
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

8. AIX

How to install AIX 5 on 9133-55a?

hello everyone :D i'm new to AIX and i loved it the moment i saw an AIX admin who came to where i work to install an AIX server for an ERP project, i loved it so much that i bought the old server in my company my server is 9133-55a the server has no graphic card, and i cant use HMC how can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pico
3 Replies

9. Solaris

$ Prompt on Serial console is not responding.

Hi Experts. i have been stuck up with an issue. i have connected my Solaris 8 , Sun fire V445 on serial port by using Teraterm. Initially i was able to login and executed some tasks. After executing some commands (mainly Control +c), i am not able to type any key or not able to do anything at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
2 Replies
bt-serial(1)							    bluez-tools 						      bt-serial(1)

NAME
bt-serial - a bluetooth serial manager SYNOPSIS
bt-serial [OPTION...] Help Options: -h, --help Application Options: -a, --adapter=<name|mac> -c, --connect <name|mac> <pattern> -d, --disconnect <name|mac> <tty_device> DESCRIPTION
This utility is used to manage serial service connections. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show help -a, --adapter <name|mac> Specify adapter to use by his Name or MAC address (if this option does not defined - default adapter used) -c, --connect <name|mac> <pattern> Connects to a specific RFCOMM based service on a remote device and then creates a RFCOMM TTY device for it; `pattern` is a profile short name (spp, dun), RFCOMM channel (1-30) -d, --disconnect <name|mac> <tty_device> Disconnect a RFCOMM TTY device that has been created AUTHOR
Alexander Orlenko <zxteam@gmail.com>. SEE ALSO
bt-adapter(1) bt-agent(1) bt-audio(1) bt-device(1) bt-input(1) bt-monitor(1) bt-network(1) 2010-08-12 bt-serial(1)