Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Groups is not visible
Operating Systems Solaris Groups is not visible Post 302966548 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 13th of February 2016 07:59:15 AM
Old 02-13-2016
Well it is clear that you cannot add the user to the group A or B, since these group names exist only in the NIS directory and do not exist locally (/etc/group). The NIS administrator should be able to add users to one of these groups. This typically cannot be done from an ordinary host from the command line...

As Don noted, group A and B have the same gid (group id 2560), so the user needs to be added to one group with gid 2560, so only one of those groups. Due to line length limitations there are probably many of them, so far we have seen two groups A, one B, one A5. You will be able to see all of them using:
Code:
getent group | nawk -F: '$3==2560'

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-13-2016 at 08:32 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why are the xml tags not visible?

Could some one please tell me why, when I run the following php code: <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <?php $readfile = file("rss_file.xml"); for ($k=0; $k<=count($readfile)-1; $k++) { echo "$readfile<br>"; } </BODY> </HTML> the tags do not appear in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: photon
1 Replies

2. Web Development

images are not visible

hi, why my uploaded images are not visible both in front-end and back-end of my CMS ? See the picture: http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/72686/noPics.png I checked the GD library in php. It seems ok... http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/72686/GD.png thanks ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A file system visible for solaris and windows?

Hi, I have a 1TB external iomega hard disk, and I want to plug it to a solaris 8 machine. The problem is that solaris doesn't recognize the NTFS file system partition. I was thinking of formatting it to FAT32, but I would like to know if anyone knows a better file system, considering: - I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dann-E
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

[ URGENT] - HDD visible to OS without reboot

Hi, I have added 30 GB Vmware Scsci disk in RHEL # cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) I want to make this 30 GB visible to OS without reboot. Pls help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
1 Replies

5. Solaris

folder not visible in ls -l

Hi, I have a strange problem. when i do ls i see a folder, say 'abc', but it disappears when i do ls -l. I cannot access or mv that folder. Solaris 10 (SPARC) doesn't allow me to create a new folder with the same name, as it already exists. 'file' command also doesn't recognize i 'abc'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not visible hidden folder

Hi, In one folder there is a hidden folder. Whenever i do any ls -a i can't see the folder. However i can get into the folder by cd .foldername. Would you please help me to identify what is the problem here. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
13 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Thread 2nd page not visible

Hi, I am not able to see second page of my last post, giving me message database corrupted. Please check. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
7 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Content of posts aren't visible - only subject

Let's see if this works here. (Except I can't post a URL ...) I posted the thread above and you can't see content, only the subject title. Moderator Don Cragun replied to the post in Shell scripting and programming. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dalej
2 Replies
group(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  group(4)

NAME
group - Group file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/group database contains the following information for each group: Group name Encrypted password Numerical group ID A comma-sepa- rated list of all users allowed in the group Note: Do not put any spaces between a comma and a username; otherwise, the username following the comma will not be made a part of the desired group. The /etc/group file is an ASCII file, with the fields separated by colons. Each group is separated from the next by a new line. If the password field is null, no password is demanded. Because of the encrypted passwords, it can and does have general read permission and can be used, for example, to map numerical group IDs to names. Note that commands or scripts used for adding users to groups are subject to the 225 character limit on line lengths. However, you can split lines as appropriate. RESTRICTIONS
Increasing the number of groups that a user is in beyond 16 can affect services that use ONC RPC. Tru64 UNIX ONC RPC supports up to 32 groups for compatibility with ULTRIX Version 4.2 and higher. Other vendors may support only 16 groups. ULTRIX versions before 4.2 support up to 8 groups. Users who increase their group membership beyond 8 or 16 groups will not be able to NFS mount file systems from servers that only support 8 or 16 groups over NFS. In addition, if root group membership is increased beyond 8 or 16, the NIS service will not work in a mixed NIS server environment where the servers support only 8 or 16 groups. The addgroup command limits the length of a group name to eight characters or less. FILES
/etc/group RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: addgroup(8), groupadd(8), adduser(8), groups(1), passwd(1) Functions: setgroups(2) Routines: initgroups(3) Files: passwd(4) delim off group(4)