Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Virtualizing Physical Machine Post 302963636 by agent.kgb on Monday 4th of January 2016 01:13:59 PM
Old 01-04-2016
You have to answer the simple question: are all LPARs will be in an one network or in different networks?

If the answer is yes, one network, then you don't need to do anything else. You can configure SEA without VLAN tagging and you don't need to bother your network administrators.

If the answer is no, they will be in different networks, you have to ask yourself, in which networks they should be? Then together with your network administrators you have to determine VLAN numbers for these networks, re-configure the switch port in VLAN 802.1Q trunk mode and allow the port to access these VLANs.
This User Gave Thanks to agent.kgb For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to find the number of physical processors and architecture in a hp-ux machine

Hi, I have two questions here. I need to find out the number of physical processors the HP-UX operating system is running in. Here i am referring to the physical processors in a system and not the number of cores. I can get the number of cores using the command 'ioscan -fnkC processor'.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawshank
7 Replies

4. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with old DG/UX machine, virtualizing?

Hey all, We have an old Data General Unix system (DG/UX) on an old AViiON machine. That DG system is Intel-based (PentiumPro) and we are trying to virtualize / emulate it. DG was a clever system, as it cannot be installed on a 'regular' x86 machine, only on an AViiON box. I think I figured out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgux
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtualizing SCO v5 - interesting project/nightmare, could use some help

same old story, we have an important very old app running on SCO 5, box is only on LAN and as such was never updated by anyone etc.. box is nearing its end of life in a bad way (currently experiencing some SCSI issues) and it's time to do something when good advice of "lets upgrade" for years was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mc18
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to count number of physical and virtual processors on Solaris machine.?

hi, I am using command psrinfo -p to check the number of physical processors present on any soalris machine.I want to check the number of virtual processors assigned for particular solaris machine. which command/set of command need to be used which can grep or show the total virtual processors... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check everything are migrated after the physical to vmware virtual machine?

I have a physical machine , just use vmware tools migrated data to virtual machine . how can I check these two servers - old and new server , the data are the same , all files are copy to new server ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find whether Solaris installed on physical machine or on a VMware/KVM?

Hi All, . I am trying to find whether Solaris 11 installed on physical server or on VMware/KVM. I tried uname -a but it's giving only whether i installed on X86 or sparc machine. I tried prtdiag command but it's giving below information. command : prtdiag -v |grep "System... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
2 Replies
VLAN(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   VLAN(4)

NAME
vlan -- IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN network device SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device vlan DESCRIPTION
The vlan interface provides support for IEEE 802.1Q Virtual Local Area Networks (VLAN). This supports the trunking of more than one network on a single network interface. This is particularly useful on routers or on hosts which must be connected to many different networks through a single physical interface. To use a vlan interface, the administrator must first create the interface and then specify the VID (VLAN identifier, the first 12 bits from a 16-bit integer which distinguishes each VLAN from any others) and physical interface associated with the VLAN. This can be done by using the ifconfig(8) create, vlan, and vlanif subcommands from a shell command line or script. From within a C program, use the ioctl(2) system call with the SIOCSIFCREATE and SIOCSIFVLAN arguments. To be compatible with other IEEE 802.1Q devices, the vlan interface supports a 1500 byte MTU, which means that the parent interface will have to handle packets that are 4 bytes larger than the original Ethernet standard. Drivers supporting this increased MTU are: - drivers using the DP8390 core (such as ec(4), ne(4), we(4), and possibly others) - bge(4) - bnx(4) - ea(4) - eb(4) - epic(4) - etherip(4) - ex(4) - fxp(4) - gem(4) - hme(4) - le(4) - sip(4) - ste(4) - stge(4) - ti(4) - tl(4) - tlp(4) - vge(4) - vr(4) - wm(4) - xi(4) vlan can be used with devices not supporting the IEEE 802.1Q MTU, but then the MTU of the vlan interface will be 4 bytes too small and will not interoperate properly with other IEEE 802.1Q devices, unless the MTU of the other hosts on the VLAN are also lowered to match. EXAMPLES
The following will create interface vlan0 with VID six, on the Ethernet interface tlp0: ifconfig vlan0 create ifconfig vlan0 vlan 6 vlanif tlp0 After this set up, IP addresses (and/or other protocols) can be assigned to the vlan0 interface. All other hosts on the Ethernet connected to tlp0 which configure a VLAN and use VID six will see all traffic transmitted through vlan0. The same VLAN can be created at system startup time by placing the following in /etc/ifconfig.vlan0: create vlan 6 vlanif tlp0 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The vlan device first appeared in NetBSD 1.5.1, and was derived from a VLAN implementation that appeared in FreeBSD and OpenBSD. BUGS
The vlan interfaces do not currently inherit changes made to the physical interfaces' MTU. BSD
December 16, 2010 BSD