Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Zfs - what does atime update? Post 302954705 by jlliagre on Thursday 10th of September 2015 09:19:50 AM
Old 09-10-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky
Unfortunately I cannot install the gnu utils for solaris to get stat available, due to rigid change control.
Most GNU utils are already there but GNU stat is unfortunately not part of them. Solaris ls has been extended to support some GNU options though, and they provide the information required.
Quote:
I have not come across ls -lu before; I have tried repeatedly catting the file atimetest.txt today, but that does not show any change in the ls -lu output.
I am happy to accept that the default setting for atime (=on) updates the inode data, which is something I cannot see easily, in my current setup.
Here is a test showing the access time changing on Solaris 11.2:

Code:
$ ls -l foo
-rw-r-----   1 jlliagre staff          5 Mar 20 01:20 foo
$ ls -l --full-time foo
-rw-r-----   1 jlliagre staff          5 2015-03-20 01:20:15.576863674 +0100 foo
$ ls -lu --full-time foo
-rw-r-----   1 jlliagre staff          5 2015-04-25 08:52:32.741753870 +0200 foo
$ cat foo > /dev/null
$ ls -lu --full-time foo
-rw-r-----   1 jlliagre staff          5 2015-09-10 14:59:57.582793533 +0200 foo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

atime, ctime, mtime somewhere along csize..

i have used all forms of the unix find command.. and right now this is the only command i can think of that might have this option..: if i use mtime i am looking at a time interval.. but if i wanted to find out intervals of access, change and modification according to when a file changed size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

2. Programming

read() without changing atime ?

Hey, First of all I want to know How do I see the atime of a file ?? Whats the command ?? I think ls -l shows the last modified time right ? Because when I use cat to read a file, the timestamp shown by ls -l does not change. Its not ls -lu ! man ls did not help ! How do I see the last... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
8 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

mtime, ctime, and atime

Unix keeps 3 timestamps for each file: mtime, ctime, and atime. Most people seem to understand atime (access time), it is when the file was last read. There does seem to be some confusion between mtime and ctime though. ctime is the inode change time while mtime is the file modification time. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find ot ctime , mtime ,atime

Can any one tell me how to find out ctime , mtime ,atime for a file/directory on unix. Cheers, Nilesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mtime VS atime VS ctime

hi, in trying to maintain your directories, one needs to do some housekeeping like removing old files. the tool "find" comes in handy. but how would you decide which option to use when it comes to, say, deleting files that are older than 5 days? mtime - last modified atime - last accessed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-atime not working as expected

I need to sort through a volume that contains video files by access time and delete files that have not been accessed over x days. I have to use the access time as video files are originals that do not get modified, just read Testing commands on a local test folder... $ date Wed Sep 28... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: canon273
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why updating atime doesn't update ctime?

Hi, ctime is the inode change time. If reading a file, its atime will be updated, which should cause inode member i_atime changed, which is an inode change. So ctime should also be updated. But if I try to ls a directory on redhat, only the directory atime gets updated, not ctime. Why? THANKS! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a hell of atime with KSH -ftp automation

Following this thread: https://www.unix.com/ip-networking/1935-automated-ftp-task.html I have created the following script: #! /bin/ksh HOST=ftp.mywebsite2.com USER=astrocloud PASSWD=8**** exec 4>&1 ftp -nv >&4 2>&4 |& print -p open $HOST print -p user $USER $PASSWD print -p cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to update zfs-based flar?

Hello! I have ZFS-based flash archive (flar file). I need to install to it several additional packages and patches. As I know, it is possible for USF-based flar, but how to do it with ZFS-based one? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluge
0 Replies
UNDOCUMENTED(7) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   UNDOCUMENTED(7)

NAME
undocumented - No manpage for this program, utility or function. DESCRIPTION
This program, utility or function does not have a useful manpage. Before opening a bug to report this, please check with the Debian Bug Tracking System (BTS) at <http://bugs.debian.org/> if a bug has already been reported. If not, you can submit a wishlist bug if you want. If you are a competent and accurate writer and are willing to spend the time reading the source code and writing good manpages please write a better man page than this one. Please contact the package maintainer and copy man-pages@qa.debian.org in order to avoid several people working on the same manpage. Even if you are not an accurate writer, your input may be helpful. Writing manual pages is quite easy, the format is described in man(7). The most important and time-consuming task is to collect the information to be put in the new manpage. DIAGNOSTICS
It is possible that the man page for the command you specified is installed and that your manual page index caches are out of sync. You should try running mandb(8). Try the following options if you want more information: foo --help, foo -h, foo -? info foo whatis foo, apropos foo dpkg --listfiles foo, dpkg --search foo locate '*foo*' find / -name '*foo*' Additionally, check the directories /usr/share/doc/foo, /usr/lib/foo. The documentation might be in a package starting with the same name as the package the software belongs to, but ending with -doc or -docs. If you still didn't find the information you are looking for you might consider posting a call for help to debian-user@lists.debian.org. SEE ALSO
info(1), whatis(1), apropos(1), dpkg(8), locate(1), find(1), updatedb(1), undocumented(3), man(7), mandb(8), missing(7). Debian GNU/Linux August 24th, 2003 UNDOCUMENTED(7)