Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk or sed or python for regular expressions ? Post 302953426 by John K on Friday 28th of August 2015 03:54:49 AM
Old 08-28-2015
awk or sed or python for regular expressions ?

Linux 6.X environments (RHEL, Oracle Linux )

I could write basic shell scripts in bash.
In my spare time, I was planning to learn awk or sed to deal with regular expression tasks I have to deal with. But, I gather that python is gaining popularity these days and I came to know that python has a decent regular expression functionality.

I haven't worked with awk , sed or python before and I want to learn one of these to deal with regular expression tasks. So, I would like hear from you guys on which is powerful and simple .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions in sed

I'm using sed to alter a parameter file used in another process. Basically, the file is a template containing a few variables which need to be replaced at runtime. The problem is that using sed with filenames that contain the / character causes matches to fail. eg:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfreemantle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions in sed

I'm using sed to alter a parameter file used in another process. Basically, the file is a template containing a few variables which need to be replaced at runtime. The problem is that using sed with filenames that contain the / character causes matches to fail. I've tried doing an escaped... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfreemantle
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions variables in sed

I am trying to pass a regular expression variable from a simple script to sed to remove entries from a text file e.g. a='aaaa bbbb cccc ...|...:' then executing sed from the script sed s'/"'$a"'//g <$FILE > $FILE"_"1 my output file is always the same as the input file !! any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel234
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and regular expressions problem

Hi Im trying to use sed to change some files which I'll describe here: I want to use a regular expression to grab the <body> tag from a document. However, the <body> tag can look different so the regular expression used will take care of that and "include" all types of bodies, in example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hjalle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Print range, exclude regular expressions.

Ok, so I get that: sed -n '/START/,/END/p' file ...will print every line from START to END inclusive, but I don't want to see START or END. Apart from the obious: sed -n '/START/,/END/p' file | grep -v "START" | grep -v "END" ...is there a simpler way of doing this? Thanks as always! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk regular expressions

Hi Experts, Can you please help me out for the below scenario, I have a variable length file with the fixed number of columns, in which the fields are delimited by pipe symbol (|). From that file I have to extract the lines which has the following scenario, The field1 in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chella
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED regular expressions

Hi, I need to replace <field name="ID">1</field> with <field name="STATION_ID">01</field> how can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noppeli
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and regular expressions

Hi, There's a bug using JavaDoc that generates an error if a tag <a...> is found in a javadoc comment, which is not a HTML reference. For example this error is produced with generics. I want to insert an space between "<" and "a". Expression is able to find where this happens using find and grep: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlbertGM
6 Replies

9. Programming

Which language is best suited for regular expressions perl,python.ruby ?

Hello all, i am in a bit of dilema here. i dont know any thing about perl or python. only know a little bit of awk. now unable to take a decission as to which language to go for. my requirement is building a testing framework.suite which will execute ssytem comands remotely on unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with sed and regular expressions

I have a file, each line has the date and time twice, once at the start of the line, and again half way along. to neaten things up, and to make it easier to read i'm removing one set. Wasn't as easy as identify the text and remove, as it'd remove both. So i added some text at the beginning of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chr15b
4 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)