Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script question in special character Post 302944548 by keerthi2016 on Wednesday 20th of May 2015 05:54:19 AM
Old 05-20-2015
Shell script question in special character

when I execute the unix commands its works normally in the 1st part.

When I the tried the same in shell scripting the directory is not displayed in 2nd part example. please let me know what needs to be done.

Unix :

Code:
client=~zsvdbs

echo $client
/shome/zsvhome/zsvdbs

Using Shell script :

Code:
+ client=~zsvdbs
echo $client
+ echo ~zsvdbs
~zpsdba

I need the output as /shome/zsvhome/zsvdbs instead ~zpsdba

Please let me know wat needs to be done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Character Check in Shell script

Hi, I'm currently working on a project that requires parsing xml file. One of the field in the xml is shown below (don't remember exactly): <variable="ITEM">12345678</variable> I coded my script keeping in mind that the value denoted in bold will always be a number. After getting just the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Syntax to Extract Everything After Special Character

Hi, I am writing a Perl script that reads in many lines, if a line meets the criteria I want to edit, it. For example, the script will return the following example line... test=abc123 All I want to do is strip off the "test=" and just be left with the abc123. In my script I can easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to escape special characters in Korn shell script

Hi, I would like to display the following message from my shell (Korn) script Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt" My code looks as follows print "Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt"" However, when I execute the script, I get the following output Copy old_file.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use arrow touch in a script shell without special character

Hello, I have a problem when i execute the script underneath. If i tape azerty 123 and i use the arrow touch, in the file /tmp/test i have the caracter #!/usr/bin/ksh clear echo "Taper l adresse IP de la partition a creer :" tput cup 1 48 read Adress echo $Adress echo "${Adress}" >>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about special char in script

I am reading the free book linux 101 hacks. The book show how to create a new command mkdircd, which create a new directory and then move you to the directory. so it just to add the following function (down) to the .bash_profile function mkdircd () { mkdir -p "$@" && eval cd "\"\$$#\""; }... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Special Shell Variable "$-"

Question: How I can change the shell option in my current environment, which I want to change the result of the command echo $-. Background: Special variable $-. It means the current shell option, and in my ENV, the result of this command as follows. -bash-3.2$ echo $- himBH -bash-3.2$ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell sIs there something special I need to do when using sudo in a script?

I have a script in which I used "sudo -s" I notice some extremely strange behavior when executing this script. To investigate this I decided to recreate the problem in the following script. I notice that "sudo -s" is only being executed one time. Soon after completely falls apart. Is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busi386
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger email from script if the Special Character replacement is successfull

Hello Gurus, I have a script developed... #!/bin/bash #--------------------------------------------------------------------- # This pScript will remove/replace the special characters fromfiles #--------------------------------------------------------------------- trxdate="`date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanduedi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)