Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help optimizing sort of large files Post 302925230 by DGPickett on Friday 14th of November 2014 05:11:07 PM
Old 11-14-2014
Well defragged disk helps, as sort is doing sequential passes merging data. As a pattern, sequential is the fastest, if the adjacent file pages are really adjacent disk pages.

If sort has a big RAM footprint, it can move out of place items farther on each pass, as each pass reads from all sorted input streams into RAM and the smallest <= last is written to the newest temp output.

Fast sort space is critical, too, more critical than fast swap, but both are nice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large files

I am trying to understand the webserver log file for an error which has occured on my live web site. The webserver access file is very big in size so it's not possible to open this file using vi editor. I know the approximate time the error occured, so i am interested in looking for the log file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehgalniraj
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large Text Files

Hi All I have approximately 10 files that are at least 100+ MB in size. I am importing them into a DB to output them to the web. What i need to do first is clean the files up so i dont have un necessary rows in the DB. Below is what the file looks like: Ignore the <TAB> annotations as that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

large files?

How do we check 'large files' is enabled on a Unix box -- HP-UX B11.11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort large file

I was wondering how sort works. Does file size and time to sort increase geometrically? I have a 5.3 billion line file I'd like to use with sort -u I'm wondering if that'll take forever because of a geometric expansion? If it takes 100 hours that's fine but not 100 days. Thanks so much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

a problem with large files

hello all, kindly i need your help, i made a script to print a specific lines from a huge file about 3 million line. the output of the script will be about 700,000 line...the problem is the script is too slow...it kept working for 5 days and the output was only 200,000 lines !!! the script is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_wassal
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone! I have 2 types of files in the following format: 1) *.fa >1234 ...some text... >2345 ...some text... >3456 ...some text... . . . . 2) *.info >1234 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Speeding/Optimizing GREP search on CSV files

Hi all, I have problem with searching hundreds of CSV files, the problem is that search is lasting too long (over 5min). Csv files are "," delimited, and have 30 fields each line, but I always grep same 4 fields - so is there a way to grep just those 4 fields to speed-up search. Example:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
11 Replies

8. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to sort large file with frequency

Hello, I have a very large file of around 2 million records which has the following structure: I have used the standard awk program to sort: # wordfreq.awk --- print list of word frequencies { # remove punctuation #gsub(/_]/, "", $0) for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) freq++ } END { for (word... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies
RAM(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    RAM(4)

NAME
ram - ram disk driver SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NRAM ram_size # RAM disk size (512-byte blocks) major device number(s): block: 3 minor device encoding: must be zero (0) DESCRIPTION
The ram pseudo-device provides a very fast extended memory store. It's use is intended for file systems like /tmp and applications which need to access a reasonably large amount of data quickly. The amount of memory dedicated to the ram device is controlled by the NRAM definition in units of 512-byte blocks. This is also patchable in the system binary through the variable ram_size (though a patched system would have to be rebooted before any change took effect; see adb(1)). This makes it easy to test the effects of different ram disk sizes on system performance. It's important to note that any space given to the ram device is permanently allocated at system boot time. Dedicating too much memory can adversely affect system performance by forcing the system to swap heavily as in a memory poor environment. The block file accesses the ram disk via the system's buffering mechanism through a buffer sharing arrangement with the buffer cache. It may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is no `raw' interface since no speed advantage is gained by such an interface with the ram disk. DISK SUPPORT
The ram driver does not support pseudo-disks (partitions). The special files refer to the entire `drive' as a single sequentially addressed file. A typical use for the ram disk would be to mount /tmp on it. Note that if this arrangement is recorded in /etc/fstab then /etc/rc will have to be modified slightly to do a mkfs(8) on the ram disk before the standard file system checks are done. FILES
/dev/ram block file /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ra(4), rl(4), rk(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), xp(4) dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
ram: no space. There is not enough memory to allocate the space needed by the ram disk. The ram disk is disabled. Any attempts to access it will return an error. ram: not allocated. No memory was allocated to the ram disk and an attempt was made to open it. Either not enough memory was available at boot time or the kernel variable ram_size was set to zero. BUGS
The ram driver is only available under 2.11BSD. 3rd Berkeley Distribution Januray 27, 1996 RAM(4)