Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with loops?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help with loops? Post 302921707 by neutronscott on Sunday 19th of October 2014 07:24:41 PM
Old 10-19-2014
You can iterate over an array in a while loop. First we'll need an array though. sh only has 1 -- $@. Let's use that.

Code:
$ set -- Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto
$ while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do echo $1; shift; done
Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto

You can do it without shifting as well. Here is another example using an array in bash.

Code:
$ declare -a planets=(Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto)
$ i=0; while (( i < ${#planets[@]} )); do echo "${planets[i]}"; ((i++)); done
Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto

You can quote either list to see the difference.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops?

hello....very new user to unix...and i have a question..i am not sure if there is such a thing For example...the user is asked if he likes Bananas....if he says yes.... echo You like Bananas $name at the end of the script it echos all that the user has entered so they can read it.... but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops within loops

I am running on HPUX using ksh. I have a script that uses a loop within a loop, for some reason the script seems to hang on a particuliar record. The record is fine and hits the condition in Blue. If I kill the 1st loop process the script continues on with no problem. Begin code> <Some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bthomas
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops

I'm trying to create a loop that will prompt the user for 15 values, not forcing them to enter all 15. If the user enters through one or more of the prompts the null value needs to be converted to 0, otherwise set the parameter = to the value entered: ex. Please enter file no #1: 17920 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with While Loops

I am traversing down a list, and I am not quite sure how to tell the loop to break when it's done going through the file. #!/bin/sh while : do read list <&3 echo $list done is the code. The file "list" is simply 5 4 3 2 1 any advice on how to break the loop after the file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the 2 for loops

#!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' A= a c b t g j i e d B= t y u i o p counter=0 found="" for i in $(cat $A) do for j in $(cat $B) do if then found="yes" fi done if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadharah
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I want to execute a script the number of times a user enters. Please can you advise on hor can I do the same. Many Thanks, Shazin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops with tr

Hello, I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the 'unix for dummies' or the 'unix for experts' forum because I'm new to this forum and this is the second topic I've discussed, but if you could let me know which one was more appropriate for something like this, please do! So in tr (an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
NE(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     NE(4)

NAME
ne -- NE2000 and compatible Ethernet cards device driver SYNOPSIS
ISA boards ne0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 9 ne1 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 ne* at isapnp? MCA boards ne* at mca? slot ? PCI boards ne* at pci? dev ? function ? PCMCIA ne* at pcmcia? function ? acorn32 ne* at podulebus? amiga ne* at zbus0 # AriadneII, X-surf amigappc ne* at zbus0 # AriadneII, X-surf atari ne0 at mainbus0 # EtherNEC on Atari ROM cartridge slot evbarm ne0 at obio? addr 0x0e000200 intr 5 # on-board Asix AX88796 evbsh3 ne0 at mainbus? # Realtek RTL8019AS x68k ne* at intio0 addr 0xece300 intr 249 # Nereid Ethernet ne* at intio0 addr 0xeceb00 intr 248 # Nereid Ethernet neptune0 at intio0 addr 0xece000 intr 249 # Neptune-X neptune1 at intio0 addr 0xece400 intr 249 # Neptune-X at alt. addr. ne* at neptune? addr 0x300 DESCRIPTION
The ne device driver supports NE2000 and compatible (including NE1000) Ethernet cards. While the original NE2000 is designed for ISA bus, the compatible Realtek 8019 chip is widely used on various local busses and ne driver also supports such devices on various machines. MEDIA SELECTION
The Realtek 8019 (ISA, ISAPnP, some PCMCIA) and Realtek 8029 (PCI) NE2000-compatible Ethernet chips include support for software media selec- tion. If one of these chips is detected by the driver, the list of supported media will be displayed. For all other chips supported by the ne driver, media selection must be performed either via card jumper settings or by vendor-supplied con- figuration programs. DIAGNOSTICS
ne0: where did the card go? The driver found the card, but was unable to make the card respond to complete the configuration sequence. SEE ALSO
ifmedia(4), intro(4), isa(4), isapnp(4), mca(4), pci(4), pcmcia(4), ifconfig(8) BSD
April 3, 2010 BSD