Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Replacing control characters in HPUX Post 302920906 by shamrock on Monday 13th of October 2014 01:16:17 PM
Old 10-13-2014
Post the output of cat -vet text on your input file here...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing control characters

using c-shell, does anyone know how to send control characters to the printer before the job? I need to set a printer to print in condensed mode HELP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglinsk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting rid of control characters

how can i get rid of the control characters , ex. ^M, ^G, in a file? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove control characters

Hi, When I do a man and save it into a file, I end up getting a lot of control characters. How can I remove them?? I tried this: /1,$ s/^H//g But I get an error saying "no previous regular expression". Can someone help me with this. Thanks, Aravind (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search For Control M characters in files

Hi , I have special character control M in many of my files as below ersNet-Telnet-3.03/Makefile.PL100644 21166 144 612 7113770214 135 77 0ustar jayusers## -*- Perl -*-^M ^M use ExtUtils::MakeMaker qw(WriteMakefile);^M ^M WriteMakefile(NAME => "Net::Telnet",^M ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

screen control characters

Hi, Can anyone help me with controlling the cursor position from a shell script. Things like moving left,right,up,down etc Anyone have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Hallo Team, I am trying to get rid of the dollar sign. I managed to remove all the other special characters but i am struggling with this one. -bash-3.2$ cat -e missing_revenue_20141112.csv|less|head BW0522168531211141180935668@196.23.110.141$ BW092218784121114-370120610@196.23.110.141$... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
4 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat - catenate and print SYNOPSIS
cat [ -u ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -v ] file ... DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output. Thus cat file displays the file on the standard output, and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no input file is given, or if the argument `-' is encountered, cat reads from the standard input file. Output is buffered in the block size recommended by stat(2) unless the standard output is a terminal, when it is line buffered. The -u option makes the output completely unbuffered. The -n option displays the output lines preceded by lines numbers, numbered sequentially from 1. Specifying the -b option with the -n option omits the line numbers from blank lines. The -s option crushes out multiple adjacent empty lines so that the output is displayed single spaced. The -v option displays non-printing characters so that they are visible. Control characters print like ^X for control-x; the delete char- acter (octal 0177) prints as ^?. Non-ascii characters (with the high bit set) are printed as M- (for meta) followed by the character of the low 7 bits. A -e option may be given with the -v option, which displays a `$' character at the end of each line. Specifying the -t option with the -v option displays tab characters as ^I. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1) BUGS
Beware of `cat a b >a' and `cat a b >b', which destroy the input files before reading them. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 5, 1986 CAT(1)