Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Proxy Server Linux Networking - VLANs & Multiple IP's Post 302920564 by PCB on Friday 10th of October 2014 06:04:36 AM
Old 10-10-2014
Thanks Dave,

I can understand how the ILOM, SAN etc would be on different VLANs. In your case, does the VM OS itself span VLANs. E.g. if its a web server listening on port 80, would the web server IP be on one VLAN, and then an IP for SSH be on another VLAN?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Networking Problems On Linux

HI I JUST INSTALLED LINUX 7.0 ON MY COMPUTER AND IT WIPED OUT THE WHOLE WIN2K SO MY QUESTION IS THAT I CAN'T .....MY NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR DOESN'T WORK (NO INTERNET AT ALL) WHAT SHOULD I DO!... I HAVE A CABLE MODEM IP I USE TO SEARCH THE INTERNET WITH BOTH BROWSER IE AND NETS..NAV.. NOW I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMOTEB
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nescape & dial up networking "Linux"

Sorry I need to Know How to connect to the Internet using Netscape in the GUI of the Red Hat Linux .....using phone line with a modem Us robbitics ....Such as in windows We add dial up adapter etc ......:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

3. Programming

networking aspect of linux

Hi, everybody. I wanted to know the networking aspect of Linux i.e how Linux works using networks. If anyone knows it or the site or book where I can find this topic then please inform me. Thanks a lot for your co-operation. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinnaree
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux networking

hi, we've linux suse version 7 and i've installed linux on the PC's, so could anyone tell me that which files should i change under /etc to be able to Telnet & Ftp to other machine? Rgrds, Nikk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Networking XP with Linux (Vector Linux)

I need help. I have a cable modem. It has an USB out. I didn't want to buy a router. So I hooked my WinXP computer up to the cable modem by USB. I wanted to network my Linux computer to the WinXp computer by the ethernet cards in each. The only problem is, I don't know what I need to know to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfunkle
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Networking unix & windows

I have very basic question: I have 2 windows sytem & 1 Unix system & wanted to put all three system into one network to each other. what kind of other hardware I need? like cable , router? can anybody tell me the configuration? like how to connect to external hardware to put into network? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kar1
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Networking with Hub, & Sol 10 Problem

Unable to Ping network nodes Currently have two Solaris 10 servers connected via a dumb Hub. I'm unable to ping either box but they can ping themselves. I have double checked physical connections and the following files; /etc/hosts - verified that all devices are listed correctly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pham
4 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Career in Networking & Network Security

Hii i want to make career in networking and i m new in this field could u plz help me what should i do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawan_kumar
2 Replies

9. Linux

Linux networking configuration

I have a question concerning default gateways in RHEL. In Linux, the default gateway does not have to be associated with a specific interface - when you look at your routing table with route -n, your default gateway can be associated with the default route on the last line, and doesn't have to be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rojizo
0 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Xalan & Xerces issues for Oracle Linux 6.6 & Solarisstudio12.3 C++ compiler for Linux

Hi Team, I am facing issue while using Xalan & Xerces for my application. Below are my environment details i am using :- Platform:- Oracle Linux 6.6 Compiler :- solarisstudio12.3 C++ compiler for Linux Below are the versions of Xalan & Xerces source code used to build the shared object... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: agrachirag
0 Replies
VLAN(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   VLAN(4)

NAME
vlan -- IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN network device SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device vlan DESCRIPTION
The vlan interface provides support for IEEE 802.1Q Virtual Local Area Networks (VLAN). This supports the trunking of more than one network on a single network interface. This is particularly useful on routers or on hosts which must be connected to many different networks through a single physical interface. To use a vlan interface, the administrator must first create the interface and then specify the VID (VLAN identifier, the first 12 bits from a 16-bit integer which distinguishes each VLAN from any others) and physical interface associated with the VLAN. This can be done by using the ifconfig(8) create, vlan, and vlanif subcommands from a shell command line or script. From within a C program, use the ioctl(2) system call with the SIOCSIFCREATE and SIOCSIFVLAN arguments. To be compatible with other IEEE 802.1Q devices, the vlan interface supports a 1500 byte MTU, which means that the parent interface will have to handle packets that are 4 bytes larger than the original Ethernet standard. Drivers supporting this increased MTU are: - drivers using the DP8390 core (such as ec(4), ne(4), we(4), and possibly others) - bge(4) - bnx(4) - ea(4) - eb(4) - epic(4) - etherip(4) - ex(4) - fxp(4) - gem(4) - hme(4) - le(4) - sip(4) - ste(4) - stge(4) - ti(4) - tl(4) - tlp(4) - vge(4) - vr(4) - wm(4) - xi(4) vlan can be used with devices not supporting the IEEE 802.1Q MTU, but then the MTU of the vlan interface will be 4 bytes too small and will not interoperate properly with other IEEE 802.1Q devices, unless the MTU of the other hosts on the VLAN are also lowered to match. EXAMPLES
The following will create interface vlan0 with VID six, on the Ethernet interface tlp0: ifconfig vlan0 create ifconfig vlan0 vlan 6 vlanif tlp0 After this set up, IP addresses (and/or other protocols) can be assigned to the vlan0 interface. All other hosts on the Ethernet connected to tlp0 which configure a VLAN and use VID six will see all traffic transmitted through vlan0. The same VLAN can be created at system startup time by placing the following in /etc/ifconfig.vlan0: create vlan 6 vlanif tlp0 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The vlan device first appeared in NetBSD 1.5.1, and was derived from a VLAN implementation that appeared in FreeBSD and OpenBSD. BUGS
The vlan interfaces do not currently inherit changes made to the physical interfaces' MTU. BSD
December 16, 2010 BSD