Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Having issues finishing up a few scripting problems. A little help would be awesome Post 302919927 by vbe on Sunday 5th of October 2014 05:02:39 PM
Old 10-05-2014
But remember - We are not here to do the work for you...

Have you tried typing env ?
What does the output look like?
What does pwd output?
What does echo $HOME output?
So?
in script9.sh You are asked to replace the "cat somefile" by "cat $1" and use a second parameter $2...
What cant you do here?
Show us what you did so far then and explain what is blocking you

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problems

Hello, Im trying to write a script where it will only execute on a certain day. What would the script look like? if then do this is this correct?? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewisoco
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting issues

hi, I am stuck in a shell script where in i need to extract the specific users from \etc\passwd file. Once this is done, i need to assign Roles to these users which are different for different users. What could be the optimum solution. If i hard code the Roles values in a text file, how would i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashutosh101
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripting issues...

Hi guys, I am thanks in advance for any posts and for reading. I am trying to run this script, under solaris: echo "****************************************" echo "The host is: " echo "****************************************" <<EOF find /etc/default -name login -exec ls -l {} \; find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in finishing 2 commands

the first one: 1. i am trying to build a command that searches a text file and outputs the number of words which consists of two 'b' characters in each word separatly like barby (the b characters must be separated from one another) i tried to use grep filepath then i know that we need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newby2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting problems

Hi, In my unix server, i received a file in /usr/data/xmit location. i want to write a unix script after file reached. So how can i write a one line code which chceks the presence of the file? and second line line should take the status of the prevous line. like below. Line 1: checks for the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting users issues...

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum community and need help with some scripts. I have attached what I have so far and these are scripts that have been passed on to me for a project that I have been assigned. To tell the truth I have never really worked with scripts and have no clue how these even... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingzero89
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with scripting users

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum community and need help with some scripts. First off let me put that this is “NOT” a homework assignment as I have been given this information where I work (IUPUI-UITS) and need help on this since I have no experience in this area. The only reason I am turning... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingzero89
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with awk scripting for HTML tags

Below is the data file(results) contents- 13450708,13470474,US,15 24954,24845,JPN,44 14258992,14365059,US,4 24954,24845,IND,44 I want to send above data sets to email in a tabular format. For that I am using below awk script. Now the challenge I am facing here is - I want to make the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roseline
2 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat - catenate and print SYNOPSIS
cat [ -u ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -v ] file ... DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output. Thus cat file displays the file on the standard output, and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no input file is given, or if the argument `-' is encountered, cat reads from the standard input file. Output is buffered in the block size recommended by stat(2) unless the standard output is a terminal, when it is line buffered. The -u option makes the output completely unbuffered. The -n option displays the output lines preceded by lines numbers, numbered sequentially from 1. Specifying the -b option with the -n option omits the line numbers from blank lines. The -s option crushes out multiple adjacent empty lines so that the output is displayed single spaced. The -v option displays non-printing characters so that they are visible. Control characters print like ^X for control-x; the delete char- acter (octal 0177) prints as ^?. Non-ascii characters (with the high bit set) are printed as M- (for meta) followed by the character of the low 7 bits. A -e option may be given with the -v option, which displays a `$' character at the end of each line. Specifying the -t option with the -v option displays tab characters as ^I. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1) BUGS
Beware of `cat a b >a' and `cat a b >b', which destroy the input files before reading them. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 5, 1986 CAT(1)