Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find a list of files in directory, move to new, allow duplicates Post 302912097 by Clyde Lovett on Tuesday 5th of August 2014 08:30:08 PM
Old 08-05-2014
You guys are great - thank you!

I hear you both re: the pre-planning, but actually I'm like the janitor here - housekeeping some shared directories where product photo is put into Dropbox by multiple users / employees etc. Images are placed in folders based on Vendor and sale name and then shared via the cloud. So these images could be buckshot all over the place & duplicated x-number of times as they might be needed in one folder for one particular sale and then some duplication to cover another sale with a different vendor and so forth. We have thousands of product SKUs and on this occasion these 300 are now sold out and we will not restock them so the task is to remove any photos that have the SKU number in the file name ... hence my conundrum and visit to this forum - which I am glad to have discovered!

I spend my day as the staff photographer but because I have some aptitude for computers I get the IT hat thrown at me on a regular basis. Hopefully this sheds some light on things Smilie

So a couple of things
1. I don't mind waiting for it to run - I can even run something overnight if it's going to take a very long time.

2. As the script finds and moves files, it would be great if there is no over-write of files with duplicate filenames, but rather if a duplicate filename is found that it just append the duplicate filename with something like copy, copy1, copy2, etc.
and ...

3. I understand this is a script and some of the things that I need to replace here - like path/to/targetdir ... but a few questions
a. what identifies the file that is the list of my "SKUs" (the search criteria)?
b. is my file with the list of SKUs a text file, one SKU per line? (probably yes)
c. in what way to I save this code and run it - I gather this is a script - what do I do with it (now I'm really showing my "dummy" status on this, but I learn fast so hang in there with me!).

Thank you again - I appreciate expanding my knowledge in this area and thank you all for your time.

Clyde

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files and display only directory list containing those files

I have a directory (and many sub dirs beneath) on AIX system, containing thousands of file. I'm looking to get a list of all directory containing "*.pdf" file. I know basic syntax of find command, but it gives me list of all pdf files, which numbers in thousands. All I need to know is, which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r7p
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files in a list to another directory

I have a number of files in a directory that can be grouped with something like "ls | grep SH2". I would like to move each file in this list to another directory. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kg6iia
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help list/find files greater 1G move to different directory

I have have 6 empty directory below. I would like write bash scipt if any files less "1000000000" bytes then move to "/export/home/mytmp/final" folder first and any files greater than "1000000000" bytes then move to final1, final2, final3, final4, final4, final5 and that depend see how many files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from one directory to another, renaming duplicates.

Below is the script i have but i would like simplified but still do the same job. I need a script to copy files not directories or sub-directories into a existing or new directory. The files, if have the same name but different extension; for example 01.doc 01.pdf then only copy the .doc file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gilljambo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies
gvfs-move(1)							   User Commands						      gvfs-move(1)

NAME
gvfs-move - move a file from one VFS location to another SYNOPSIS
gvfs-move source-URI destination-URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-move moves a file from one URI location to another, using the virtual file system. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: source-URI Specifies the source file location in standard URI format. destination-URI Specifies the destination file or directory location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Moving a File From a Web Server to a Local File example% gvfs-move http://www.sun.com file:///home/user/index.html ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-move Executable to move a file from one VFS location to another ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-cat(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-move(1)