Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fixed Length file from a SQL script Post 302910052 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 22nd of July 2014 07:37:43 AM
Old 07-22-2014
A few questions:-
  • Can you extract the data you need running this from a shell script?
  • How long are the lines and how long should they be?
  • Why do you get pipes and quotes in the output? Is it in the source data?
  • Does your query language support commands such these
    • SET LINESIZE 4000
    • COLUMN x FORMAT A20

I'm still a little unclear as to what output you want. RudiC did ask, but you didn't answer. Do you want a fixed line length file, fixed width columns or are you planning to FTP this to a mainframe where you can define data as fixed record?

If you could help us to understand your need, then perhaps we will be better placed to help you with a solution.

What variations have you tried so far?

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 07-22-2014 at 11:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use SQL loader to dump a fixed length file in to DB

consider a fixed length file 12345abcd8901 12345abcd7777 12345njdu8888 12345hdku8388 i would like to dump it in to oracle DB using sql loader 12345 in to first coloumn abcd in to second coloumn 8901 in to 3rd coloumn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk script to compare 2 fields in fixed length file.

Need a script that manipulates a fixed length file that will compare 2 fields in that file and if they are equal write that line to a new file. i.e. If fields 87-93 = fields 119-125, then write the entire line to a new file. Do this for every line in the file. After we get only the fields... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Muga801
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cut command in a fixed length file

Hi, I have a file which have set of rows and has to create separate files based on the id. Eg: 001_AHaris020 001_ATony030 002_AChris090 002_ASmit060 003_AJhon001 Output: I want three files like 001_A.txt, 002_A.txt and 003_A.txt. 001_A.txt should have ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating fixed length lines in shell script

I have a peculiar file with record format like given below. Each line is wrapped to next lines after certain number of characters. I want to concatenate all wrapped lines into 1. Input:(wrapped after 10 columns) This is li ne1 This is li ne2 and this line is too lo ng Shortline ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanyam
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and Increment a value in the fixed length file

Hi Everyone, I need to increment a value in the fixed length file. The file has almost a million rows. Is there any easy way to accomplish this. Ex input file ASDSD ADSD 00000 X AAASD ADSD 00000 X SDDDD ADSD 00000 X Ouput ASDSD ADSD 00001 X AAASD ADSD 00002 X SDDDD ADSD 00003 X ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saratha14
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed length to delimited file conversion

Hi All, I need to convert a fixed length file to a delimited file with , (comma). But not all columns, some of the columns in the fixed files are used as fillers and I do not need that in the output file. test_fixed_len.txt I 0515 MR 394 I 0618 MR & MRS 942 I 0618 MR & MRS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
7 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					    Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)